SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '90 900 with around 150000 miles (the odometer was dieing when I bought it) This car has been great to me for the past three years, but for this is the third time of nursing her back to health (new head gasket, replaced fuel pump :-/) I'm toying with the idea of selling it and going to another car. Any suggestions. Over the time I've had it, I've put a new radiator, new back brakes (the works), new clutch, new exhaust, a good deal of body work (my first experience with bondo :) ) switching doors and hood, a new stereo, amp, homemade sub box (gotta save the space or what's the point), managed to mount of 5.5 inch black and white tv in the center space below the radio in front of the shifter, and a nintedo under the passenger seat. I love the amount of space the hatch gives me and just the feel of the car overall.

However, there are some problems. There is a bad bearing somewhere, it causes the car to shake at anything above 70 or 75 (I don't konw the details, but my mechanic said it wouldn't cause any damage, just get worse) it's about a $400 repair and nothing I can do myself, my driverside window just recently decided to die, my sun roof opens but only if you help it along, and the power locks haven't worked in a while.

I've put a lot of time and work into this car and I'm torn up about what to do. I bought the car for $1200 and think I could get at least $1000 for it.

Any suggestions.

If you're vote is for a new car I could use some suggestions, I've definitely been spoiled by Saab (love the heated leather seats, hatchback versitility and sporty feel), but being a 2 year college student I'm not exactly rolling in the dough.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that 150,000 miles seems to be the point that quite a few things go wrong on these cars. Head gasket and timing chain both usually fail round there, and gearbox issues seem to happen between 150k and 200k. Once you replace some of the weaker components the car should keep on running fairly happily for a while. Window, sunroof and locks are all minor repairs covered on here or in the Bentley. What car are you going to get for $1000 that will be anything like as good? Even if you find one, you might have to drop another $1000 on it in the first few weeks of ownership. Not that I'm biased or anything. :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
My car has the same problem, Odo died at 146000 but I know i'm well over 150000. I've replaced the CV joint, a brake cylinder, altenator, and one or two other things, I'm redoing the interior and exterior this summer and stashing the cash for a new tranny if/when mine goes. The rest seems like it'll be fine for another year. Might help that I'm keeping it off the road for my freshman year, save some cash for my baby.

I say you fix her and keep her ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of the a car unless I crashed it or the rust ate through the floorboards.

If you've already done a bunch of work, thats the stuff that won't go bad for a while. If you get a new car, you are right back to square one and might have even bigger problems than your current one.

You probably want to replace the wheel bearing right away though. If driven on for a long period of time the heat generated could weld the outer race into the spindle. Then you have to get a used spindle too! This is much more expensive.
$400 seems expensive for that job. The bearing is only $75 and it shouldn't be more than 1 hour labor for a pro, 2 hours for a beginner.

If the tranny goes then you might want to look around again, but even that is worth the investment if the rest of the car is solid. Paying for maintenance seems expensive because it is lumps sums of money rather than monthly payments, but it is still cheaper if you add it all up over the year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you guys are right, things are going really well with the car right now. (The only thing, is that it seems to take a few more cranks than usual to get her started) but I don't think I could rid of her yet.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts