SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to run my car through an auto car wash now that winter's over to make use of the underbody washing. Do you guys think this is a good idea (just once) to do with a soft top. I understand how a regular car wash would be bad, but how about a touchless?

I think the only problem might be that for the underbody wash, you have to get the expensive one which includes waxes and whatnot that will soak into the top.

Opinions please....thanks in advance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i have a vert but would never try a car wash with the price of a new soft top it wouldn't be worth the risk. I would just take it to a jet wash and do it that way. I don't get car washes they spray the wax onto the car as it goes through sealing the dirt in....;oops: Good luck!!!

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I agree with John. No way in hell I would use one of those on my vert.
I just go to those do it yourself places and use the wand and run it under the car as far and as much as I can.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I went to a do it yourself and tried to spray under as much as possible. I always steer clear of the automatic ones, but wish there was a more thorough way of cleaning underneath...oh well

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was going to take my vert to a car wash after sooooo many people said it was fine...I am simply looking to get top and body washed.

The place they said to go was "Splash"...anyone here in the Northeast know about this place? It's one of those touchless washes.

I wish there was a DIY place around me! :roll:

·
4,637 Posts
Whatever happened to "garden hose and sponge"? Too basic for y'all?? For the underbody, bring axle stands and a trolley jack down to the local diy place, jack the car up on one side as high as possible and support on axle stands and blast away!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cdaly said:
Whatever happened to "garden hose and sponge"? Too basic for y'all?? For the underbody, bring axle stands and a trolley jack down to the local diy place, jack the car up on one side as high as possible and support on axle stands and blast away!!
Hmmm...well to start, I usually wash my car myself, behind my garage. Your idea about the jacks and axle stands, however, would probably get me shot as the 30 or so people waiting for the wash saw me taking my sweet time.:D

A

·
0 Posts
DIY washes over here (well ESSO anyway) have little trolley-buggy-wheeled things that roll under your car and have little jets to spray underneath... Maybe it's a frozen-north only thing to spray off snow and salt... They work very well though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
axe said:
DIY washes over here (well ESSO anyway) have little trolley-buggy-wheeled things that roll under your car and have little jets to spray underneath... Maybe it's a frozen-north only thing to spray off snow and salt... They work very well though.
Man...that's what we need. First universal health care, and now this. Canada's lookin better every day:cheesy:

·
Registered
397 Posts
cdaly said:
Whatever happened to "garden hose and sponge"? Too basic for y'all??
Oh it's still around...and I am thinking of resorting to this. From day one that's the only way I've washed my car. From this past winter she really needs a GOOD cleaning...so much dirt and salt. Poor baby!

·
Registered
251 Posts
ellison said:
I was going to take my vert to a car wash after sooooo many people said it was fine...I am simply looking to get top and body washed.

The place they said to go was "Splash"...anyone here in the Northeast know about this place? It's one of those touchless washes.

I wish there was a DIY place around me! :roll:

Splash is a big chain around here in stamford, CT. They do a really nice job at the ones here. don't know if it's touchless. I wash my own car, but my parents cars always come out wicked nice from there. and it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ellison said:
Oh it's still around...and I am thinking of resorting to this. From day one that's the only way I've washed my car. From this past winter she really needs a GOOD cleaning...so much dirt and salt. Poor baby!
That's fine for y'all who HAVE hoses and dont live in Apartments :roll: I have to drive for miles to find a decent DIY place. And by the time I get back the front wheels are already covered with brake dust again. It's truly a viscious cycle:confused:

I suppose I could drive slower on the way back, but the car goes so much faster when clean:cheesy:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
ellison said:
That's why you keep up on it all winter long! :cheesy:
Although I do have the 'luxury' of living equidistant between 2 self serve wash place thingys'. Less then 1.5 M away. But no under car thing. How cool is that?

Ed said:
I suppose I could drive slower on the way back, but the car goes so much faster when clean
Cool. I was worried. It's not just me then? :cheesy:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I take the company car through our local Immo..They tend to jet it off before it goes in to loosen up some of the dirt. It is one of those conveyor ones that pulls you through...The other week the kids were being a right pain as we started to go through so when we got to the water jet stage (rinse) i opened both back windows...wet wasn,t the word did the trick though it shut them up:cheesy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts