SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 9-3 came with a touch up paint kit. I guess the guy I bought it from did some work on random paint chips.
It is a two part system with the color and the clear overcoat(???)
My problem is that it did not come with instructions.

any advice would be great...

thanks...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I bought some matching spraypaint form www.paintscratch.com, and the procedure is to put a layer or two of color on first, then follow it up with a couple layers of the clearcoat. For the spraypaint version, they say to allow 20 - 30 minutes of drying time between coats. I'm not sure how different this might be from the brush on paint though.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The brush-on paint will take longer to dry.

Google touch-up/paint - there is a better way of doing this....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Also check a product called langka. It uses some type of solvent and compound to remove paint blobs that extend above the surface of the chip. I do the same thing with acetone. Fill the chip with multiple paint dabs and let it dry. Then level it with a cloth wrapped around a popsicle stick that has been applied a small splash of acetone. After the surface is level, apply a thin layer of clear coat and then use rubbing compound to blend it in. The acetone doesn't hurt the original paint if you don't get too excessive with it. This works because the touchup paint is a different type of paint from the original paint.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is it not a good idea to lightly wet sand it with a high grit sandpaper? My brother said that should take the 'blobs' of paint off pretty well, and shouldn't do any damage to anything else. What brand of spray on clearcoat do you guys recommend? Sorry for hijacking the thread.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts