SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my ng900, (its black ), the front bumper, there is a grey section...or it looks greyish.......and its starting to show some signs of age...its fading......how or with what could i touch this up with...that will even out the black.....

thanks for any tips...the weather is getting nicer, its time to get to work!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
tristan tumble said:
there is a grey section...or it looks greyish.......
Do you mean the rubstrip? Or is it worn down to the bumper/basecoat/primer?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It shouldn't be chipping or anything. Maybe some fading though. Use some products by Mother's, I think its Forever Black or Back to Black or something. A local auto-supply store should have something you can use. Its sopposed to be a dark grey, really.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I tried a lot of things. For the short term anything oil based will work. For the long term, the only thing that I found that works is Forever Black. FB has the caveat that it is a dye so if it gets into clothing or non black areas you are in trouble. You also need about 10,000,000 coats of forever black for it to work well.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
it depends how much you care. If you pay close attention, with 2 coats, you can notice there are 2 coats :) I am little bit pickier than the next.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You could always paint em! I've thought about this. I don't know how it would look. And there would be considerable prep sanding involved. Anybody ever heard of this being done?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
There have people who have painted their bumpers to the color of their car. Not sure if they have experienced any flaking or anything though. I wouldnt mind getting mine painted...although I want different bumpers so I wouldnt spend the money.

My moms 9-3 has more fading than my car. And hers is garaged back in CT.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I've found the worst fading to be on the rockers below the doors. I don't have any trouble with the rub strips along the bumpers or sides. Odd...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yeah thats where my mon is experiencing the worst fading, other than that the only other place is the catch baison on the bottom of her windshield. I only have a slight discoloration on the side skirts. But I can cover that up with some tire shine that I also use on my tires.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That stuff in the link is probably very similar to Forever Black. But people seem to like FB well, and its proven itself to work well too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts