SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, looking to buy my first Saab. I really want an SPG and I can only find one locally. I have found a few that are in MA (about 300mi round trip) but didnt really want to travel that far. The one here has very little rust, but it doesnt have a headliner, the exhaust manifold gasket needs replaced and 3rd gear is starting to go. Doesnt sound like a good place to start, eh? I also dont have a whole lot of money for this. It seems people think SPGs are much like Landcruisers (lots of knowledge of cruisers very little for Saabs) and way overprice them. What sort of knowledge can you pass down to me?

·
Registered
139 Posts
From the service records on my '89 SPG it got a new downpipe and gasket(s) roughly every 2 years since '92 or '93.
Headliner fell on mine too...took it out to paint it (bad idea...takes 2-3 12oz cans of "high build" primer to START getting somewhere, bondo or something it first...thats what I'll do with the next one) and it broke in half 'cause I was too impatient to wait for a 2nd person to help me. What a view with it out though...much better then before :D

Just from cruizing in mine for the 80 mile trip home it's an awesome car (~40 of which I spent looking for 5th gear)...and I still don't have it running at 100% yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
grif900 said:
Do the Vermont guys have a secret code or something?:cheesy:
Umm...why would we tell an outsider?:p

Where would you suggest looking? I've checked criagslist for every state near me and posted an ad in the VT craigslist. Thats how I got people from MA. I've checked out Saabnet without and luck. Where are all the SPGs hiding?:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Didn't realize your in VT too...is the Land Cruiser green by chance?
I've seen a few 900's on craigslist, maybe 1 SPG. If I had been 2-3 weeks sooner I'd have gotten a '89 900 Turbo for free, that sucked to find out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, its dark red lifted with 33in tires. Sort of the opposite that the Saab will be. At 14mpg its not very economical and it cant get out of its own way. So I'm pretty excited for the Saab! Where abouts are you? I'm in the general Burlington area.

·
Registered
139 Posts
According to the sign I pass everyday I'm in the "Geological Center of Vermont."
Your Land Cruiser can't get out of it's own way and is only getting 14mpg? My friend has an '86 which just wants to GO, even while uprooting trees :D That was cool to watch.

If this page is accurate...have fun finding another SPG. Only 7621 imported between '85 and '91, and mines 1 of 204.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
if its got any problems with the gearbox i'd leave it well alone. unless your mechanicly minded/have free time/ have a source of parts.

you might be lucky and the gears only need adjustment...

you really want one thats been well maintained. regular serivces, decent honest owners. you can normally tell within 10 seconds of meeting them and looking round there garage other cars..wife ;) :lol: look for rust on the underside, bring your jacks and torch..dont be afraid lol

theres a buyers guide in the FAQ's or some place like that on this site.

hold out till a mint one comes up. pay a bit more for it, have peice of mind...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
So for most production years you could have an SPG in any colour as long as it was grey? Strange marketing decision.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fetchitfido said:
Oh, now I see that it's the color code and not the number of that color made. I need to actually read everything, not just what seems important. I see why I was confused about it...the '91's are listed by how many of each color..

This SPG gone already? http://burlington.craigslist.org/car/440323800.html
or this one? http://nh.craigslist.org/car/431684884.html
Still have the one in VT but it has some soft spots in the floor. I'm trying to get as little rust as I can. The one in NH dont know about, I'll send them an email right now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it looks like the one in NH might be the best yet. It is $1500 almost no rust, but needs a steering u-joint and of course exhaust manifold gasket (seems like they all do) it also has new tires. But I want to get some aero 16in wheels so they would get sold. How hard is the steering u-joint replacement and the exhaust manifold gasket? I did a frame swap on my cruiser, so a u-joint should be nothing.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The Universal joint isnt too hard, just fidely. the exhaust manifold gasket is a bit harder. getting lucky and not breaking studs that is. check the wear on the timing chain when you get there. really simple to do. if the owner will let you...check play in the turbo shaft.

who cares if u look like a prat, atleast you know what bills are coming :) nothing worse than buying a car thats a shed ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, he said hes pretty sure theres already a broken stud. How bad is it to take out a broken stud? He also fixed the rust by the A-arm with a replacement "kit" that he said was designed to cut out and be welded in. But besides that there isnt any rust.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curious about the a-arm fix.:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts