SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct torx size for the screws in the dashboard speakers?

The Saab in question is a 1997 900S. (my girlfriends) Im going to upgrade the dash speakers this evening, would like to know what size torx bit i need to get from Sears on the way to work..

thanks!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I believe its a T20 mate :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK i'll give that size a go, and see what happens. I hope I dont have to run back to the store.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Dakotus, you are taking the first steps into the world of DIY, so make the tools a lifetime investment. Buying from Sears and Roebuck is the first step in the right direction, IMO....

You will end up using all the Torx sizes from T10 to T60 sooner or later.
For 5 or 6 dollars I bought a screwdriver set from Harbor Freight -this is used almost daily.
And I believe GM did the right thing by adopting Torx as a standard - it is easier to use than Phillips and stronger..

Saab does come from the factory with a good quality Torx screwdriver, but these are known to grow legs.....

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
dakotus said:
I'm a Jeep guy myself, so I have a fair share of tools. I do all my own work on my Jeep. I have everything BUT torx bits. They aren't too common in jeeps. Looks like this is a good deal, I might pick it up after work today. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&bidsite=&pid=00946345000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
I think I have this set - over the years, being a DIY, a man can spend thousands for tools.
GM may be the only one to use Torx - VW uses a "triple-square" -spline drive.
Remember the Posi-drive (much like Phillips, but not quite) ??
The Jeep is quite the vehicle, if Saab were to be more "Jeep-ish". I think they would be more successful...

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
The front speaker screws actually take a T25 screwdriver, as do most of the screws inside the car. There's one in the tool kit, but like others have said, buy an entire set, it will come in very handy. A disassembly guy at a junkyard told me that a lot of European cars are using Torx screws. GM is using some on their American cars, but my mom's '97 Pontiac has the most bizarre mix of regular Torx, phillips, and external Torx screws I've ever seen! Saab at least standardized on regular Torx. Our Swedish Asko dishwasher also uses all Torx screws.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I just finished the job. Im glad I didnt just buy the t20 bit, but a mini-set instead. It was a T25 bit. Jeremy I read you post just 4 hours too late. But nevertheless I have about 7 bits and that should cover most anything. I say 'bit' because they are not sockets, they are the kind that go into a screwdriver.

Im still gonna buy that Lisle torx socket set in the link I posted.
Anywho, thanks for the advice, the Infinity 3002cf speakers sound great.

if anyone is wondering...
Left: Brown & Grey = positive / Brown = negative
Right: Brown & Red = positive / Brown & Black = negative

1 - 8 of 8 Posts