SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing the bushings on both rear torque rods. Have the right side out, but now need to remove the right side rod.

Must I drop the gas tank in order to access the rear bolt and nut? I can't see any way to hold the nut in place without lowering the tank.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I will be replacing the bushings on both rear torque rods. Have the right side out, but now need to remove the right side rod.

Must I drop the gas tank in order to access the rear bolt and nut? I can't see any way to hold the nut in place without lowering the tank.

Thanks, Dave
Just put an open end spanner in there on the rear nut of the torque rod. Spray it up with penetrating lube. If it's really tight just work it back and forth a bit.

Shouldn't need to drop the tank, that's a major PITA

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because of the tight space and weird angles involved I have been unable to get any kind of spanner in there. Basically too much stuff in the way. I'm back at it today (off work for our Independence Day holiday) so I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I did it recently without dropping the tank. Like S900t8v said, use a lot of penetrating oil. I was able to get a the box end of a combination wrench over the nut with a little effort. The tank will deform slightly under a little pressure.

Dustin

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
You don;t need to back the nut off against the tank :nono;

Just pull the bolt outwards as you undo the nut you shouldn't need to deform anything.

I doubt the rear bolts are different between 8 nd 16 valve but on top of that nothing I did put the fuel tank at risk of damage.

Drop the tank if you cant see a way around it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I ended up dropping the the tank ever so slightly. That allowed me that little extra room I needed to get my box end wrench in there to hold the nut. As mentioned by d-ames, the tank also deformed a little. That deformation wasn't needed to make room for the nut to come off the bolt, but to allow the wrench to get on the nut. Once I had the nut held securely the bolt came out easily.

Thanks everyone for your help. Tomorrow I get to put it all back together!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts