SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i,ve just found that the top engine mounts on the drivers side (UK) just in front of the bulkhead are both torn almost right round as seen in my little gallery here
>>> http://www.trustphotosite.com/georgephillips2/1995_saab_9000cse_turbo/

how serious is this ??? and can they easily be pushed out for replacing or do i
have to strip out the casting and alternator etc...is this a diy job ?.
best regards
George :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I've replaced both upper mounts in both of my 9000s, and it was a relatively easy job. For the rear upper mount (the one that attaches to the false bulkhead - not the one directly mounted on the engine), you can get the mount and arm as one item, so no pressing is required.

The one mounted on the engine is a little trickier. I used a hacksaw to saw through the sleeve around the rubber mount. It takes a while, and you have to be careful not to saw through the aluminum bracket that mounts to the engine. Getting a stock mount back in is kind of difficult, I hear, so I just bought a two-piece polyurethane mount, which slid right in with no trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
A common arrangement is to take the dogbone off the car, cut through the metal ring of the old bush and then it will pop out fairly easily. It's not too bad to knock (hammer on a bit of wood) a new standard bush in.

As for the one on the alternator bracket, yes that one's a pain without removal so just fit a split poly bush instead.

Or you can buy the tool for doing it, shown here (or make one).

David.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Yes John, that's the same thing. I saw that a couple of days ago too but couldn't be bothered to find it for my reply. :)

The poly bushes should be harder wearing, either way, they're easy to replace, much easier than hacking out the old Saab rubber bush.

Just to warn that some people find that when both are poly, that it can be a bit too harsh hence the easier one is often done as a rubber replacement with the mount on the alternator being the split bush (or the red one cut in half which is what I did.)

David.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Don't really need pictures, you just cut out the old bushes and press in the new ones.

Like I said, my advice is to remove the dog bone bit and work on that on a bench. Saw a slot in the ring of the bush and then you can just tap it out. Same for doing the front on which you can either leave attached or you can incur the hassle of removing it.

Do protect all the surroundings from the metal swarf though. Once you've cut through this one, use a poly bush as it's just easier. :)

David.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top