SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rebuilding/repairing a 1986 2 Door Saab 900 S and need to identify what the following part is. Its from the top rad hose, and everywhere I've looked has the whole assembly without this part, so I dont know the name of the part, and I need to replace it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch for your help. We're brand new at this and thought that it must have something to do with temp, but weren't sure.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You don't really need to replace it. Its purpose is to turn the a/c off when the car is overheating, thereby lessening the load on the hot engine. A very good SAAB mechanic told me that by the time it does its job, steam will be pouring out, the temp gauge will be in the red and any sane person would have long ago turned the engine off.

You can just replace it with a straight piece of pipe ands join those two wires together.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
nutcase said:
Welcome :)

It's something to do with the aircon. The pipe is part number 9332826, the sensor is 4086724, and the washer is 8330268. Hope that helps :)
The sensor is actually a 110 degree C normally-closed thermoswitch, designed to disable the air-conditioning system in the event that the coolant reaches 110 deg C. I presume this is the temp at which the coolant will start to completely boil based on the fact that it's pressurised, and the chemicals in the coolant mix prevent water molecules changing state until a higher temp is reached.

The t-pieces are hard to find since they're steel (except for the 1985 cars that used a plastic version that cracks instead of rusting), but the thermoswitchs are stocked by a few places including PFS.

I've talked about the tee's with my local Saab repairer and if there was enough interest it'd almost be possible to make them in stainless steel. The most expensive part of the process is machining the threaded part for the sensor and welding that to the main section. One-off they'd be very pricey though.

Craig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts