SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on changing my ATF fluid in the holidays. (00 9-3)
My haynes manual and the WIS refer to a 'special tool' for undoing the drain plug/ access point in the auto transmission. Is this just a spanner and potentially allen/hex/torx key - or is there something else I'm missing? When I've read a break down for a 9-5 for example - everyone just talks about a spanner eg 24mm and a tight fit - so a closed ring spanner is preferred.
If there really is a special tool for the 9-3 trans - and is it common enough to purchase at a normal auto parts store etc?
and the critical info .. what is it technically called?

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
You should also check out post #2 on the page below for instructions on how to do a full flush by pulling off one of the cooler hoses. Note that this is for the 2002+ 9-5, and the inlet and outlet hoses are reversed on your car. You can pull off the other hose, but fluid will shoot out the transmission instead of the hose. I was a little surprised the first time that happened to me. :)

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
FWIW, that is roughly the method I use on Volvos, but they have more usefully placed cooler hoses. :)

This would be a great use of a junkyard-sourced hose. Just be aware if you a banjo fitting, you're well-advised to have new washers on hand to avoid leaks.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
That really would be a great use of a junkyard hose! Prior to discovering the glories of Pick n Pull, I found the correct metric sized barbed banjo fitting on eBay, and attached that to a piece of rubber hose, but a piece of a factory one would have been even better.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gents,
I had been reading the post about the 9-5 before - because it was linked in a previous ATF style post.
Related note - with regards to washers - if I use a new one - should it be aluminum or copper... I read that it should be Aluminum but I would like to confirm that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts