SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 9-3 sedan 2.0T with 180k miles and manual trans, new car when I bought.

First time pulling injectors, I had the codes pulled with obd: P0455, p0245, P0201-4, P0300. So definitely something wrong with my fuel system.

Last time partner used car it just died on her as she was coming into driveway so thank baby Jesus for that. Before that it was having start issues, would come up codes then next day codes would be gone.

Figured I'd test my injectors and has to take fuel rail off to read, one was 19 ohm, another 25 ohm, 16 ohm and 14 ohm with my expensive Fluke 77 IV multimeter.
Edit: I just tested again with my cheaper but reliable Mastech multimeter and they all read around 12.3 ohms?

Can I assume my Fluke is squirrelly and the injectors are good?
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0201-4 + P0245 = ECU is toast..
Thanks but is there anymore to this than just been general? I'd rather not throw money at chasing demons but this is probably it. Just trying to figure out how does codes match up to a bad ECU.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Injector coil resistance is 12 ohms according to WIS. Fluke might need an ohmmeter battery. ECU is, however, toast. Codes match up because one chip drives all 4 injectors and BPV, and you get these codes when it fails.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This post got me thinking. I didn’t drive my 2.0T for 4 months. Old fuel just sat in the fuel rail probably gumming up the injectors (shouldve put fuel stabilizer in the tank, but didn’t).
I was getting the ecu and injector codes w/ stumble and check engine light when I first started it up and intermittently for a week or 2 after.
Anyway I cleaned and sprayed deoxit on the 42-2 connector and the ecu connectors. However, I also put Sta-bil injector cleaner in the tank and the car is running a bit more smoothly. Code has not returned yet.

My hypothesis: the ecu injector drivers send current to the injectors to open the injector pintle. If the injectors are all gummed up, more current is required to open them. If the ecu can’t open them, then it’ll set a code. Too much current draw will probably eventually kill the drivers in the ecu.
Thus, maybe all these problems stem from gunked up or old injectors?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
There are enough stabilizers in US gas to last a year or two, so I don't think it's the gas.

Old age and avalanche are what seems to slowly degrade one or more injector driver FETs, which eventually fries the common driver chip for injectors and BPV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update, I ordered the OBDlink usb cable and downloaded the Trionic can flasher software to do a ECU swap, hopefully it goes well.

I hoarded a spare ECU and coil set from a same year junkyard Saab a couple of years ago figuring I'd use them someday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts