SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I've had a bad gas gauge and decided to buy another gauge cluster. It didn't fit. But while I was in there, I figured that I should take care of some other business with the gauge cluster that I have to use again.
1) The "shift now? light. (I mean, less than 2k? Stupid!) So I popped that bulb out.
2) Contact cleaner. Sprayed it on stuff to see if that would fix the gas gauge. It didn't.

So I put it all back together, and lo and behold, there are 2 problems:
1) The red triangle "Warning" light is on
2) The SRS light is on

Why? What can I do to stop them?

And while I'm at it, I want to let people know what I have compiled for info on resetting the radio (radio code, programming the clocks, the SID, etc). It seems to be all over these threads, but nothing has all the info in one spot. When putting the crap back together, do it like this:

Getting the radio out:
If you have the hooks, put them in, get the click, push outward on them, pull on the radio.
If you don't have them, make them (see pics in the guide and just copy that design). I used a couple of spokes from a bicycle, bent them to shape, made a slight hook at the end, and they worked.

Getting the SID out:
With radio out - push on the back of it
With radio in - put something into the holes, with a hook end (radio tool), hook the hole (1 cm deep) and just pull. It should snap out with some effort.

Resetting the radio:
The dealers need the serial number of the radio for the code. They may need the VIN as well. Have both when you call.
If the code you entered was wrong, hold "Band" for 5 seconds. Unplugging it for a while doesn't work. Though if you do it wrong a few times, I guess you have to do more. Just do it right once. The serial number on the radio doesn't have any number to do with the code either, so don't bother.

Setting the clocks:
Set the analog clock first, then the digital. If you do it backwards, the analog will change the digital and they will be wrong.

OH, this is a 97 900 SE Turbo

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
More good, useful information, Thank you, Rojo.

Now I can make the radio removal hook devices and service the tape player..

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
Any stray spark or extra voltage can screw up the SRS system. Just knocking the right plug can mess with it. Until a dealer checks everything and resets the system, both of those warning lights will stay on. I'm pretty sure the entire SRS system is disabled as long as the light is on, so you may want to get it checked sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dag nabbit! But the shift light wouldn't mess that up, right? And is this something that a dealer needs to check or any mechanic place? Is it a computer thing? The panels look a bit dimmer, but that just may be because the lights are on, draining power.

It's a shame I like this car so much because it's really making me regret my decision to buy it. I wish I could just make a dash from scratch.

Ups: It is smooth, looks good, is fast, carries a LOT of stuff, was relatively cheap, will be able to modify it enough to make the "Sleeper" car I always wanted.

Downs: Nothing works like it should, service is incredibly, stupidly expensive, and it isn't worth even close to what I paid for it.

And as for the radio trick, it takes a bit of doing, but the best way to get it out is to release 1 side, pull on the cassette part, then release the other side.
Spokes cost $.59 each at my bike shop, new. DIN tools cost... I don't even know. If you are handy enough to take a dash apart (or a radio out),you are handy enough to make a set of DIN tools.

Another trick (though don't be as dumb as me and let it happen in the first place): The Vents. If you accidentally drop that mess of parts and have to rebuild them, check this out.
Follow the instructions on this site, but put some lithium grease on the cruciforms so the smaller, mobile ones stay attached to the larger ones. Then assemble the 2 parts. The pieces should slide together automatically instead of having to guess or use a pen and flashlight (which the guide refers to as a torch... and I got confused).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts