SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife is getting me a TomTom One 3rd GPS unit for Christmas, and I've been researching different ways of mounting this around the dash. I'm not a fan of mounting it on the windshield as if were a radar detector, and while I've seen on other car forums various mounts that use, for example the A/C vent as a mountng point, I would appreciate any feedback from a Saab owner who has any kind of GPS in use already. Any pictures would be helpful, not only of just a TomTom One, but for any mount made for an iPod, etc. that might work.

Thanks for all who pitch in- this would be useful information for anyone else.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I installed my phone which is how I run the TomTom GPS software using the OEM phone adaptor for Saab and the phone docking station.

The location made it easy to wire the power for the unit and hide the cables.

The unit works great, perfect view from the driver side, easy reach to the touchscreen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched all threads and didn't really find what I was looking for. I did get a good idea from looking at one mounting location, where the rubber mat was removed from the bottom of the console shelf and a bracket (presumably similiar to the one that would come with the TomTom One) is suction-cupped to the bare metal and the arm extended out towards the shifter to where the GPS unit would attach. The unit would be either hard-wired or powered with the lighter socket. This is probably the best method yet but short of seeing if someone has actually done this on a MY04 car using the same GPS unit, I'd be guessing if it would work in real life.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is very nice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly what I had in mind. I'm curious as to any clearance issues as the picture is for a 9-5 and I have a 9-3, the biggest being whether I would need to remove the ashtray in order to get the base suction-cupped to the bare metal of the console, and/or if the arm would clear the ashtray if it stayed. I COULD get a different mounting bracket with a longer and/or more flexible arm if I knew where I could get one.

So far, I like this idea the best and will go with this only if a mounting bracket arm could clear the ashtray.

Wulf said:
I had my TT GO 910 mounted in the lower center console. You'll need one of those mounting discs for the suction cup to hold.

http://www.wulfers.net/auto/mods/tomtom/index.html

G

·
Saability said:
This is exactly what I had in mind. I'm curious as to any clearance issues as the picture is for a 9-5 and I have a 9-3, the biggest being whether I would need to remove the ashtray in order to get the base suction-cupped to the bare metal of the console, and/or if the arm would clear the ashtray if it stayed.
I forgot to mention the picture is from a 2006 9-3 which I had before my 9-5.

The suction cup won't hold on the plastic under the mat because it needs a completely smooth service. There is no metal under there. Check my previous link for more mounting details.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw your avatar info for a 9-5 and assumed it was the one in the picture, me not having seen inside a 2006 9-3 before. Sorry for the error on my part.

At this point, I think your set-up will work for me and the biggest thing is the ashtray and if the bracket arm will clear it. I guess I will have to get in my 9-3 and do some measuring of the area under the ashtray afore I go further.

Wulf said:
I forgot to mention the picture is from a 2006 9-3 which I had before my 9-5.

The suction cup won't hold on the plastic under the mat because it needs a completely smooth service. There is no metal under there. Check my previous link for more mounting details.

G

·
You could replace the ash tray with one of those little shelf units if you need the extra room. I cut out a small piece of the shelf to be able to put the TT a little bit further back.

Satellite reception can be a little tricky at that low position. I later added an external antenna to get better reception.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never heard of the shelf unit you talk about- is this something Saab makes? Is it a drop-in piece with no mod's needed?

In true SC fashion, an off-topic issue begins :D

Wulf said:
You could replace the ash tray with one of those little shelf units if you need the extra room. I cut out a small piece of the shelf to be able to put the TT a little bit further back.

Satellite reception can be a little tricky at that low position. I later added an external antenna to get better reception.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool beans, Wulf. Thanks for all the information!

back on topic- any danger to keeping anything (such as a TomTom) plugged into a lighter socket 24/7 as opposed to hardwiring?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Poor placement of the GPS!

Dont know about both of you but placing the GPS down low in front of the gearshift would have to be about the most awkward place to mount a GPS. When I last looked at the instructions I read that it was best to place the GPS up high & not too far from one's field of vision. The problem I have found is the steep(ish) slope of the windscreen makes it quite hard to reach when you decide to mount it on the windscreen up high...

Really the best spot is where the factory stereo goes but this obscures the stereo controls, I guess whatever one does is not satisfactory as I hate looking down to the ashtray area when I am driving, not to mention the safety aspect of doing this. At least the GPS talks me thru the instructions!

PS I have a TomTom 910 as well great unit compared to my last Magellan!

Cheers Teddy

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree, it's a pain to be driving along and have to look down for directions/map. Also probably pretty hard to get a good lock on the sat's when it's that low. I used one of those vent clips and mounted mine off of the right center vent. Also put one of this removeable connectors so I can pull the unit at any time and stow it in the glove box or move it to another car if I want. Only downside is on really hot days your blocking the air duct for the passenger (but not that bad).

Teddy said:
Dont know about both of you but placing the GPS down low in front of the gearshift would have to be about the most awkward place to mount a GPS. When I last looked at the instructions I read that it was best to place the GPS up high & not too far from one's field of vision. The problem I have found is the steep(ish) slope of the windscreen makes it quite hard to reach when you decide to mount it on the windscreen up high...

Really the best spot is where the factory stereo goes but this obscures the stereo controls, I guess whatever one does is not satisfactory as I hate looking down to the ashtray area when I am driving, not to mention the safety aspect of doing this. At least the GPS talks me thru the instructions!

PS I have a TomTom 910 as well great unit compared to my last Magellan!

Cheers Teddy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you get that vent clip, and do you have a picture to post of it in action?

MichSaab said:
I agree, it's a pain to be driving along and have to look down for directions/map. Also probably pretty hard to get a good lock on the sat's when it's that low. I used one of those vent clips and mounted mine off of the right center vent. Also put one of this removeable connectors so I can pull the unit at any time and stow it in the glove box or move it to another car if I want. Only downside is on really hot days your blocking the air duct for the passenger (but not that bad).

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's not a TomTom but this is how I have my GPS mounted. I actually went with the Garmin as it's not curved at the top, like a TT. This makes it more flush the way I decided to mount it. I used velcro to securely attach it. I have the wires concealed, running under the gear shift thru to the arm rest where it's connected for the power. Works great and it has somewhat more of a "built in" look. I know some would prefer their GPS higher, but for me this works great. This Garmin GPS is advertised as very sensitive to satellite reception, and so far I've never lost a signal due to where it's mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
9-3 Aviateur said:
It's not a TomTom but this is how I have my GPS mounted. I actually went with the Garmin as it's not curved at the top, like a TT. This makes it more flush the way I decided to mount it. I used velcro to securely attach it. I have the wires concealed, running under the gear shift thru to the arm rest where it's connected for the power. Works great and it has somewhat more of a "built in" look. I know some would prefer their GPS higher, but for me this works great. This Garmin GPS is advertised as very sensitive to satellite reception, and so far I've never lost a signal due to where it's mounted.
Nice job! Looks very clean. Does the Garmin you have have Bluetooth? how does it work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a bottom of the line Garmin. Just has the basics, which is all I was looking for. Reception is great. In terms of strictly GPS use, it's awesome and very easy to use. Considering I paid about $225 for it I don't have any complaints at all.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I noticed you posted and then deleted your thread. I was loooking through this forum and considering that I have a NUVI 660 and that the satellite receiver requires clearance, this is really the only option available so I can
mount it high and at an optimal viewing angle.

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts