SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO as a test today, I did a little megasquirt install. This is a very basic install, just fuel control no ignition control, no wideband. Ignition and wideband are pre-wired into the correct terminals on the DB37 and tagged for later use. This install was done with minimal work, I was done and driving around in about 15 minutes. For this basic install, the only components that need to be swapped / added are an intake air temp (only ground + 1 wire which is clearly labeled on Paul H's harness) and the Throttle body (which is a direct plug in to the original harness, no modifications needed). I also needed to add a map sensor vacuum hose which is plugged into the MS ECU itself. Best to use a dedicated line directly off of the intake manifold. This is the first install that I know of on a 900-S, I was a bit worried that the EZK ignition was going to have a **** fit, however it did not seem to have a problem with MS handling the fuel aside from a flshing CEL. a good fix there would be to pop the bulb out :lol: no 900-turbos will have this sort of issue, since the ignition system is totally autonomous of the fuel ECU.

SO here are the pictures! --
A good manifold fitting to use for the dedicated MAP sensor line

I installed it here. Some cars will have this exact same fitting, some have a 2 way.

You can run the new map line inside the car here--

Simply Un-plug or remove the AMM and replace this with a hollow unit, it's not needed-

This line should be un hooked and plugged. It's the one that runs to the charcoal canister. MS will not control the solenoid that runs it so it will create a slight vacuum leak and wacky idle if this is not done.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Air temp sensor. This goes into the pipe just pre throttle body. one wire goes to ground, one wire runs to the already attached and tagged wire coming off of Paul H's DB37 to LH2.2 adaptor in the car. 5 minute job. Be sure to use one for a turbo car, not a GM type, as those tend to fly apart under boost.

LH 2.4.2 Throttle body. Direct swap, no wiring change needed. You can get these at almost any junk yard for sub $50.

Stock LH ECU location. Coming out and going away! :lol:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MS going on, using the LH 2.2 to DB37 adapter specially made for easy MS instillation by Paul H

One of several extra wires already attached to the DB37 connector for the additional features such as the wideband 02 sensor.

Running on MS! Flashing CEL is just the n/a EZK ignition system being pissed off, it was not affecting driveability -

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checking the sensor readings, injector P/W, duty cycle, and other good stuff. O2 sensor readings 10. cause it was not attached.

Tuning time!

driving about

This is the only evidence that the car has anything but a stock ECU. This is a serial to USB adaptor that plugs into most modern laptops. Even an old $50 laptop is enough to run megatune with. Just needs to be about 100 MHZ, have windows 95 or better and have a serial or USB port

The car--

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

With this install, even on a 900-S! the car felt as though it gained a 3rd ball :lol: take off as well as top end power seemed to improve noticeably over the (probably malfunctioning) LH2.2 system. This is with a standard "900 turbo tune" that I re-scaled for these little injectors. interestingly enough, they still run nearly all the way up to 100% duty cycle! :lol:

I drove it around for 15 minutes or so, but this car was not up for much more than that... only due to the VERY poor condition of the transmission, as well as a failing master cyl. It was fun driving around a megasquirted 900-S, it goes pretty damn good when not choked by the stock LH system!, but the turbo motor is soon to go in, and it should be a lot more fun after that ;)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I'm hoping this moves a lot of NA 900 people to start performance modding. Instead of hearing "buy a turbo" all the time.

Thanks a lot for documenting this. I'm frothing at the mouth here, can't wait til I get my adapter!!

You're using the '93 Aero lucas injectors right? Gotta find me some of those...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just a question, is that speedo and turbo gauge from a turbo car because you said it's an N/A right? Megasquirt would be fun to mess around with. Did you have to change anything or did you just simply replace the stock ecu after setting everything up? Yeah Ironjoe, it's nice hearing someone else wants to tune a N/A too as I am an N/A owner. All I hear is get a turbo haha.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
93SAABJADE said:
Just a question, is that speedo and turbo gauge from a turbo car because you said it's an N/A right? Megasquirt would be fun to mess around with. Did you have to change anything or did you just simply replace the stock ecu after setting everything up? Yeah Ironjoe, it's nice hearing someone else wants to tune a N/A too as I am an N/A owner. All I hear is get a turbo haha.
the spedo head is from that car and is correct (86 900-S) as is the mileage to my knowledge however the side gauges and tach are from an 82 900-T which includes the boost gauge. I replaced those when I did the dashboard and VIN's as it was a no-title car when I got it. the original VIN's are clean, I just can't be issued a new title for them. this car is (as far as paperwork is conserned) an 89 900 turbo 2 door. the actual 89 was stripped and crushed about a year ago. pretty soon this is going to be even more of a frenkinstein car... Motor will be a 92 turbo with the TE05 (for now), trans is going to be from an 89 C-900T, sidepannels are from an 86 900 SPG, airdam is a cut-down 86 Turbo unit...

I work on and strip a lot of saabs, so I may as well make a good one out of all the parts! :lol:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
DeLorean said:
I work on and strip a lot of saabs, so I may as well make a good one out of all the parts! :lol:

waaaaiiiitttt, where are you located?

EDIT: i mean, i saw "philadelphia", but whereat in philly?

·
Registered
429 Posts
WOAH!!!

Where did you get that and how much did it cost! Man this is insane but I dont think I could do this by myself without a detailed step by step installation guide.

Who sells the MS adapter?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mikewitdaspike said:
waaaaiiiitttt, where are you located?

EDIT: i mean, i saw "philadelphia", but whereat in philly?
I am in the North-East Philly suburb area (ins park, Cheltenham Township) though I am usually not here...

****** said:
WOAH!!!

Where did you get that and how much did it cost! Man this is insane but I dont think I could do this by myself without a detailed step by step installation guide.

Who sells the MS adapter?
Well the maker of these kits posts here as PaulH (infrequently). I was telling him I would start a group buy for the connector units if he can make them in enough quantity. I think it's a great value for a direct plug in unit ($200)

he was saying that group buy quantity might be a problem though due to not having enough parts ECU's. getting a connector and ECU backing to make the plug and play adaptor requirers distruction of a stock ECU, so I told him why not charge $250 and return $50 as a core fee once a stock core ECU is returned? I think that might just make this be able to happen as a group buy if enough people are interested...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
DeLorean said:
I am in the North-East Philly suburb area (ins park, Cheltenham Township) though I am usually not here...
oh, nevermind then... i was just askin cuz i was in the kensington district in late july and stayed in a house right beside a shop that had 4 or 5 saabs in it's car yard that the owner of the place we were staying told me were his (the owner of the shop)

·
Registered
315 Posts
So Delorean, do you have some contact info for Paul H? I'm interested in getting one of these units and I'm not too concerned if it does not have the LH 2.2 to DB37 connector. I'm glad to see that you can run the EZK along with megasquirt. My car is a Frankenstein car as well. It's an '89 900-S with an LH 2.2 ECU from an '85 900 turbo, '86 turbo block with a 2.1L head, '91 5 speed, the existing EZK ignition and many other go fast goodies. My car recently dynoed at 247 whp and 291 ft-lb of torque @ 22 psi of boost, with some really crappy AFR curves. At the moment I'm running Jak Stolls stage 2 chip and the trionic injectors. The AFR are pig rich up to about 5000 rpm then it leans out to a dangerous level. I would like to fit megasquirt so that I can smooth the AFR out and make some more power. So this MS unit come with a base map already loaded, correct?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
www.diyautotune.com is one of the very best sources for Megasquirt. Get MS1 vers. 2.2, a wiring harness and you're ready to go! And yes, MS comes with a very crude standard map, but I have a few maps from T16's lying around now, so I'm able to provide that one for you, just need your email when the time comes, I'll send it to you.
Daniel.

·
Registered
389 Posts
IronJoe said:
Is there a map sensor that's one-step-down from this? 44psi seems like overkill and I'm assuming that a lower one (3 bar?) would be cheaper as well. Yes?
nah, just get that one, never know when you'll want to upgrade to a monster turbo :lol: plus it has the barometric correction, which is a nice feature. FYI i only make the lh2.2-->MS adapter, not the whole box, diyautotune.com is your best bet for that.

Paul

·
Registered
315 Posts
So PaulH, how does MS work with the EZK ignition? I thought there was a load signal that the EZK needs from the fuel ECU to determine ignition timing. At least there was a couple wires from the EZK that tied into the LH 2.2 harness when I was installing the LH 2.2 ECU on my '89 900 S. I seem to remember from the wiring schematics I had that one of them went to the throttle position switch and the other one just went to one of the pins on the LH ECU. Is it possible to have slight control over the EZK in the form of a piggy back set-up using MS, kind of like an MSD BTM does? I've been loooking at MS units on diyautotune for a while now just contemplating buying one. I'm just worried about setting up the base map, but if someone is willing to give me a copy of their base map it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK, so I'm looking at the assembled MS I unit on diyautotune. I'm wondering about idle control. at the moment I'm just using the old temperature sensing idle control valve that the 8 valves used, since the idle circuit for the AIC valve failed on both of my LH 2.2 ECU's. That's 3 ECU that have done that to me. Can I just use this same idle control valve for MS, that would save some tuning time.

I already have the potentiometer style TPS and throttle body from a 2.1L. Can the existing BOSCH coolant temp sensor be used with MS? I need to run over 20 psi of boost so I should be getting the GM 3 BAR MAP sensor, correct? I guess I will also be needing some bigger injectors as well. The 34 lb/hr just won't cut it for very long. Anyone have a good source for some reasonably priced injector, maybe some 42 lb/hr?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts