SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am due to replace a couple of my Pirelli PZero Rosso's in the next couple of weeks, but they are rated as 94W XL. I am not sure of the significance of the XL, and whether a 91Y non-XL will perform just as well as a 94W XL as the Y rated tyre is rated for a higher load in the first place.

I don't tend to drive at excessive speed, or use the car fully loaded, so I was wondering what people thought?

Thanks
Garry

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
fitchesg said:
Hi,

I am due to replace a couple of my Pirelli PZero Rosso's in the next couple of weeks, but they are rated as 94W XL. I am not sure of the significance of the XL, and whether a 91Y non-XL will perform just as well as a 94W XL as the Y rated tyre is rated for a higher load in the first place.

I don't tend to drive at excessive speed, or use the car fully loaded, so I was wondering what people thought?

Thanks
Garry
If the manual states Extra Load (XL) then you really should use them. Extra Load tyres have reinforced sidewalls and are designed to account for additional weight in both the vehicle and the loading that is applied under hard cornering/braking due to the weight transfer under these conditions.

I have heard that this is sometimes picked up on MOT tests, sometimes as a warning and sometimes as a fail.

I took my Company car into Kwik Fit and the fleet controller at the fleet Company forced them to replace 4 tyres that were only 3 months old as the last 3 times KF had failed to put the correct tyres on. This was at KF's cost by the way!!! Kwik Fit are notoriously bad at this and I had to show them the handbook to make them believe me and the Fleet Controller.

Insurance Companies these days look for any excuse not to pay out, incorrect load rating tyres could cause you BIG problems in the event of an accident that can be even partially attributed to the use of tyres with an insufficient load rating.

Also, a Y rated tyre is rated for higher speeds, not neccessarily extra load, although this of course is a factor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GJ Davis,

You are of course right, it's just a bit annoying as I wanted to get a "comfortable" tyre to get rid of the noise of the pzeros on all the motorway driving I do. I had settled on Goodyear Excellence, but they don't come in XL.

I think I have now settled on a choice which does come in 94W XL spec.

Garry

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
fitchesg said:
Thanks GJ Davis,

You are of course right, it's just a bit annoying as I wanted to get a "comfortable" tyre to get rid of the noise of the pzeros on all the motorway driving I do. I had settled on Goodyear Excellence, but they don't come in XL.

I think I have now settled on a choice which does come in 94W XL spec.

Garry
Continental SportContact2 & 3 are a reasonably quiet tyre, and are available in XL...........

Thats all I run on my Aero.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my opinion 91 will do. It will carry 615 kg on each wheel, so your max axle weight is 1230 kg. With 94 (670 kg) it's 1340 kg. As far as I know, XL only means a higher load rating and has no added value.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
gfgf said:
In my opinion 91 will do. It will carry 615 kg on each wheel, so your max axle weight is 1230 kg. With 94 (670 kg) it's 1340 kg. As far as I know, XL only means a higher load rating and has no added value.
Its all to do with the true load carrying capacity. The 9-3 is a heavy car, and when 5 up with a trunk full of lead, the car would need to run tyres at about 38-40 psi. A standard tyre can't take this.

Given the standard tyre pressure on our cars is around 35 psi, this is the max a non-XL tyre should be inflated to. If you need to go above this, then you need XL tyres.

My comment about insurance complications still stands though. Is it worth it for the sake of very little extra cash?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts