SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My '90 900 with 87k miles I bought in August last year has always had a bit of a notchy reluctant feel between first to second. I presumed this was just a Saab 900 thing and as it is my first one. However, I was looking through some of the service history and the gearbox oil was changed in 2013 by the PO to TRIPLE QX MP80w Gear Oil.

here's a link:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-tranmission-oils/manual-transmission-fluids/?522776062&0&cc5_868

Does anyone have experience with this oil? Does anyone think that it might be wrong?

I know the subject of the correct oil has been flogged but I thought there's no harm in asking before spending time and money on it. If the general consensus is "WHY'S THAT CRAP IN THERE?" I'll change it to an oil specified on The Definitive Gearbox Sticky.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The oil you mention is a gear oil and suitable for hypoid transmissions. The Saab transmission is not hypoid and also does not require gear oil. This may be why you have a notchy change. Drain it and put the correct stuff in. Saab recommends engine oil 10W-30 IIRC. I use syth engine oil in mine 10W-40. Once you have the correct stuff in you will not need to change it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll change it soon then.

This might sound like a silly question but in my Haynes manual it recommends on both the drain and filler plug fitting new sealing washers as well as coating the threads in a sealing compound. Are the washers just standard copper ones? Any suggestions on size? Is there a particular "sealing compound" i should use?

sorry for the questions, I had bad experience when I replaced my fuel filter that resulted in me walking to work for a week!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The correct Saab drain plug has built-in rubber or nylon seal or uses a 'Dowty' or 'Bonded' washer which achieves the same result. IIRC the thread is 14mm. Like this; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dowty-Was...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4d2d0f07b1
Seem to remember that Halfords do the plug which is fairly standard.
It's not a bad idea to use a little silicon RTV sealer on the thread and sealing area. What is important is not to over-tight the plug which can result in cracked casting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.