SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so on this; http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221391 thread I was asking questions about things to look/check for on a '90 900 parts car I was going to go look at. Here's what I noted;

• ;ol; No bearing noises, even while lugging up a steep hill.

• :nono;Reverse pop out is virtually instantaneous upon load, I tried to hold it in gear but I could feel it resisting me so I let it go, not wanting to do further damage.
  • :nono; Didn't notice any gear oil on the dip stick, which is a bit worrying. However there are no tags (license plate) on it, so it doesn't get driven, no driving = no further damage.
Biggest questions are;

• With Reverse as it is previously described, could the townsend mod be affective?
  • If the townsend mod isn't affective, how difficult is it to change the Reverse idler? (I really should know this seeing as I have a completely disassembled SAAB 900 trans. in my garage...:roll::lol:)
  • If I do have to change the idler, will the idler out of my '88 work in a '90 transmission? (Reverse idler out of '88 trans. shows only slight wear.)
So I was able to talk this guy down to $450, but I have to let him know one way or the other by Monday (11/7/11), it is now Saturday (11/5/11). I.E., this is very TIME SENSITIVE. So, do you guys think I should go for it? It has a lot of other parts I need as well; clutch slave & master, fans and fan shrouds, front motor mount...

Oh and if I do buy it, are there any parts you guys might want to buy off of me, if available?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Ok, so on this; http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221391 thread I was asking questions about things to look/check for on a '90 900 parts car I was going to go look at. Here's what I noted;

• ;ol; No bearing noises, even while lugging up a steep hill.

• :nono;Reverse pop out is virtually instantaneous upon load, I tried to hold it in gear but I could feel it resisting me so I let it go, not wanting to do further damage.
  • :nono; Didn't notice any gear oil on the dip stick, which is a bit worrying. However there are no tags (license plate) on it, so it doesn't get driven, no driving = no further damage.
Biggest questions are;

• With Reverse as it is previously described, could the townsend mod be affective?
  • If the townsend mod isn't affective, how difficult is it to change the Reverse idler? (I really should know this seeing as I have a completely disassembled SAAB 900 trans. in my garage...:roll::lol:)
  • If I do have to change the idler, will the idler out of my '88 work in a '90 transmission? (Reverse idler out of '88 trans. shows only slight wear.)
So I was able to talk this guy down to $450, but I have to let him know one way or the other by Monday (11/7/11), it is now Saturday (11/5/11). I.E., this is very TIME SENSITIVE. So, do you guys think I should go for it? It has a lot of other parts I need as well; clutch slave & master, fans and fan shrouds, front motor mount...

Oh and if I do buy it, are there any parts you guys might want to buy off of me, if available?
Townsend fix is a bit hit and miss I think. Depends how chewed the reverse idler is. It gives a bit more throw but if the gear is badly sheared then no it won't work. Often the townsend fix only gives another 40-50k miles from what I've read.

If your 88 transmission number was

GM45X10 or GM55XO2 - anything 88 or earlier will work in this tranny (pretty much)

and the 90 is

GM45X12 or GM55X04 - anything 90+ will work in that tranny

Then no you can't use the reverse idler, the reverse idler and reverse gear must be used together as there were two major revisions.

The 89+ transmissions used a different reverse idler and narrower reverse gear, accounting for the worse wear on later model transmission reverse gear/idler, 88 and earlier transmissions used a beefier reverse gear and different idler and they seem to have lasted better IIRC

Perhaps someone on here can send you a spare 90+ reverse gear and idler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts