SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I really enjoy reading and learning alot from this forum and therefore have decided to present my questions to my fellow Saab enthusiasts. Your opinions and input are greatly appreciated. Ok so here it goes. In 2003 I got my first saab, a 2003 9-3 Linear with launch package, wheel package, the works. As much as I loved the car, within a year, the car had either broken down or had techinical issues that Saab certified it a lemon and bought it back. I went on to Audi, which I didn't find as much fun to drive but more reliable.

Now I've found a few 2011 saab 9-3 aeros I am interested in but concerned since all that has transpired with SAAB. Should I revist my fondness for the car or move on?

Here are my questions...

*Would you buy a brand new 2011 aero fwd after your 2003 (at the time) was a lemon?
*Some independent mechanics say parts are hard to come by but dealers say they are seeing parts come in now. Parts problems?
*How much wear do you think is on a brand new, no mileage car that has been sitting on a dealer lot for a year or more?
*How does one find out about recalls in the future?
*Do the 2011 both fwd or awd aeros have reports of problems, technical and or others?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Hi

I really enjoy reading and learning alot from this forum and therefore have decided to present my questions to my fellow Saab enthusiasts. Your opinions and input is greatly appreciated. Ok so here it goes. In 2003 I got my first saab, a 2003 9-3 Linear with launch package, wheel package, the works. As much as I loved the car, within a year, the car had either broken down or had techinical issues that Saab certified it a lemon and bought it back. I went on to Audi, which I didn't find as much fun to drive but more reliable.

Now I've found a few 2011 saab 9-3 aeros I am interested in but concerned since all that has transpired with SAAB. Should I revist my fondness for the car or move on?

Here are my questions...

*Would you buy a brand new 2011 aero fwd after your 2003 (at the time) was a lemon?
*Some independent mechanics say parts are hard to come by but dealers say they are seeing parts come in now. Parts problems?
*How much wear do you think is on a brand new, no mileage car that has been sitting on a dealer lot for a year or more?
*Do the 2011 both fwd or awd aeros have reports of problems, technical and or others?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome back and glad you're considering Saab again.

The '03's had their technical issues that is for sure. They were really worked out in the next year or two. The current ones are very bullet proof.
Parts are coming back so shouldn't be much of an issue. Re. recalls don't know as there isn't an official dealer network however the chassis is almost 10 years old so again the problems are really not there.

My current '09 was sitting on the lot for almost 2 years when I bought it and no issues.

Don't bother with XWD unless you are in the upper North East, meaning Maine etc. or go skiing alot.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi

I really enjoy reading and learning alot from this forum and therefore have decided to present my questions to my fellow Saab enthusiasts. Your opinions and input is greatly appreciated. Ok so here it goes. In 2003 I got my first saab, a 2003 9-3 Linear with launch package, wheel package, the works. As much as I loved the car, within a year, the car had either broken down or had techinical issues that Saab certified it a lemon and bought it back. I went on to Audi, which I didn't find as much fun to drive but more reliable.

Here are my questions...

Thanks for your help.
Yes, depending on price. I just bought a 2010 Aero with 33,000 miles for $18,500. Not an amazing deal, but I thought it was good. The car was stickered at over $37,000.

2. Body parts are hard to come by, but a parts plant should either be opening or opening soon in Michigan. The story popped up in June, but I havent heard any updates since.

3. None besides a possible flat spot in the tires and the paint needing some attention.

4. You wont find out about any recalls. There is no warranty on that car.

5. Yes they are very addicting to drive, which in turn will cost you more money in gas. I love my aero. I've had it for a little over a week and really enjoying it a lot.

I say go for it. When will you ever be able to buy a brand new $40,000 car for almost 50% off again? Probably never.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Last year my wife bought a 2010 Accord sitting on the lot for about 18 months with 300 miles on it. Saved about $4000 over 2011 model. No issues.

(Why would an Accord sit on the lot for 18 months? It was a black car in Arizona where most cars are silver or white) and it was a Crosstour. On the list of 10 ugliest cars, along with another hatchback, the $60,000 BMW GT. Americans simply don't like hatchbacks in larger cars)

If the price is right I would jump on a new Aero. The 2.0T is a proven engine and love the Aero suspension and seats.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You obviously have the money to afford it, so go for it. You bought a new Saab years ago and then moved to Audi. Now, you are looking at a new Saab. You can probably get it for 50-60% of the sticker if you haggle and it seems to be a relatively well-made car. Any car buy is a crap shoot. You could get the best individual car made by a bad manufacturer or the worst individual car made by a good manufacturer. The model should be well sorted and parts should be coming back into availability soon. Only question is how much do you like the looks and feel and what are you comfortable paying. Sounds like you like the looks and feel and can afford, so splurge a little. Tell yourself you are living on the edge and enjoy the drive. That's what I'd do if I had a little more disposable income.;ol;

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, depending on price. I just bought a 2010 Aero with 33,000 miles for $18,500. Not an amazing deal, but I thought it was good. The car was stickered at over $37,000.

2. Body parts are hard to come by, but a parts plant should either be opening or opening soon in Michigan. The story popped up in June, but I havent heard any updates since.

3. None besides a possible flat spot in the tires and the paint needing some attention.

4. You wont find out about any recalls. There is no warranty on that car.

5. Yes they are very addicting to drive, which in turn will cost you more money in gas. I love my aero. I've had it for a little over a week and really enjoying it a lot.

I say go for it. When will you ever be able to buy a brand new $40,000 car for almost 50% off again? Probably never.
I have yet to find any of these cars for 50 off. Maybe 40% to 45% off. When you say paint needing some attention, what specifically do you mean?
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You obviously have the money to afford it, so go for it. You bought a new Saab years ago and then moved to Audi. Now, you are looking at a new Saab. You can probably get it for 50-60% of the sticker if you haggle and it seems to be a relatively well-made car. Any car buy is a crap shoot. You could get the best individual car made by a bad manufacturer or the worst individual car made by a good manufacturer. The model should be well sorted and parts should be coming back into availability soon. Only question is how much do you like the looks and feel and what are you comfortable paying. Sounds like you like the looks and feel and can afford, so splurge a little. Tell yourself you are living on the edge and enjoy the drive. That's what I'd do if I had a little more disposable income.;ol;
I leased my audi for an awesome price but at the end of three years you don't own anything and are left several thousand dollars less in your bank account. As I don't think anyone has much disposable income during this economic climate, when you need a car ,you need a car. So you are getting a luxury brand for the price of a base toyota with SAAB right now. I have not found any prices 50-60% off. I wish they were. Have you heard of people getting 9-3s for 50-60% off. If so, where?

;ol;

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have yet to find any of these cars for 50 off. Maybe 40% to 45% off. When you say paint needing some attention, what specifically do you mean?
Thanks
Meaning they need a good cleaning, clay bar, and wax. The sun has been on them for over a year without a car wash or anything. A couple hours and it will look and feel like a brand new car again.

How much is the 2011 Aero you saw? I saw some low mileage 2010-2011 aeros in the low-mid 20's all over the country.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meaning they need a good cleaning, clay bar, and wax. The sun has been on them for over a year without a car wash or anything. A couple hours and it will look and feel like a brand new car again.

How much is the 2011 Aero you saw? I saw some low mileage 2010-2011 aeros in the low-mid 20's all over the country.
Yes you have done alot of research as you are correct about what they are going for. My concern with cars sitting on the lot is that not all dealers are so attentive with these cars anyone more the larger the dealership. But i assume when you buy it the dealership will prep it, etc. What are you finding you love the most with ur new aero? Isn't it great to be able to get in a car everyday you enjoy! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I leased my audi for an awesome price but at the end of three years you don't own anything and are left several thousand dollars less in your bank account. As I don't think anyone has much disposable income during this economic climate, when you need a car ,you need a car. So you are getting a luxury brand for the price of a base toyota with SAAB right now. I have not found any prices 50-60% off. I wish they were. Have you heard of people getting 9-3s for 50-60% off. If so, where?

;ol;
I saw an article on the internet about 3 auctions for new Saabs that had been held at the ports while the legal issues with Saab going under were sorted. Seems that the first might have already happened. They were going to be in GA, NJ, and CA IIRC. Minimum opening bid for each was to be 50% MSRP. I'll see if I can find the article...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw an article on the internet about 3 auctions for new Saabs that had been held at the ports while the legal issues with Saab going under were sorted. Seems that the first might have already happened. They were going to be in GA, NJ, and CA IIRC. Minimum opening bid for each was to be 50% MSRP. I'll see if I can find the article...
Yes, there was an auction held via smartauction where the minimum bids started at 50% of MSRP. Those auctions are only open to dealers and if there is more than one dealer interested they tend to sell for higher prices. I think most of the dealers are selling between 40 and 45% off now. But I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yes you have done alot of research as you are correct about what they are going for. My concern with cars sitting on the lot is that not all dealers are so attentive with these cars anyone more the larger the dealership. But i assume when you buy it the dealership will prep it, etc. What are you finding you love the most with ur new aero? Isn't it great to be able to get in a car everyday you enjoy! :D
I've owned all sorts of cars. From small compact sporty cars like a neon srt-4 and Caliber srt-4, to semi luxury and sporty like a 2011 Taurus SHO. The Aero is a really good blend of luxury and sporty. It handles very well, but also rides very smooth. Lots of great features like rain sensing wipers, bi xenon cornering lights, leather, moon roof, heated seats, backup sensors. It also gets 32+ mpg on the highway as well. I haven't been this happy with a car in a very long time.

Dealers do not prep cars for crap. When I bought my Taurus brand new in 2010 It looked like they washed it with a dirty sponge and let it dry in the sun. I spent 2-3 hours on the paint to make it look perfect. That was a $40,000 car too. Same goes for the other cars i've bought.

Heres a good deal if you like red

http://www.eurocarsllc.com/carinfo.asp?VIN=YS3FC4CY1A1616367

I bought my car from him and had it shipped for $400. He has been getting a lot of Aeros in recently and was amazing to deal with. He answers emails in a few minutes, and always answers the phone. I am going to write him a review on Google tonight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've owned all sorts of cars. From small compact sporty cars like a neon srt-4 and Caliber srt-4, to semi luxury and sporty like a 2011 Taurus SHO. The Aero is a really good blend of luxury and sporty. It handles very well, but also rides very smooth. Lots of great features like rain sensing wipers, bi xenon cornering lights, leather, moon roof, heated seats, backup sensors. It also gets 32+ mpg on the highway as well. I haven't been this happy with a car in a very long time.

Dealers do not prep cars for crap. When I bought my Taurus brand new in 2010 It looked like they washed it with a dirty sponge and let it dry in the sun. I spent 2-3 hours on the paint to make it look perfect. That was a $40,000 car too. Same goes for the other cars i've bought.

I bought my car from him and had it shipped for $400. He has been getting a lot of Aeros in recently and was amazing to deal with. He answers emails in a few minutes, and always answers the phone. I am going to write him a review on Google tonight.

Thanks for the link. This guy seems to have cars in great condition. As far as shipping...which company shipped your car for $400?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the info. The dealer's cars look to be in great condition. What company shipped the car for $400?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts