SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All. I have about 38k miles on the stock rossos and maybe another 5k left on them.
I want to replace them with a softer riding tire. I'm looking at specifically
the continenetal extreme and the falken 512's. Which tire has the best ride especially
with our suspensions. Thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
jcancio said:
HI All. I have about 38k miles on the stock rossos and maybe another 5k left on them.
I want to replace them with a softer riding tire. I'm looking at specifically
the continenetal extreme and the falken 512's. Which tire has the best ride especially
with our suspensions. Thanks!!!
Just a word of caution on the Continental Tires. they seem to be hit or miss sometimes. I bought a set last year of Conti Premiercontact and the shop had to go thru 12 tires because they were out of round and would shake on my Maxima.....
But I would take Conti before Falken, Falkens wear very fast. if you can afford/find size try Yokohamas AVS..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
schernov said:
Just a word of caution on the Continental Tires. they seem to be hit or miss sometimes. I bought a set last year of Conti Premiercontact and the shop had to go thru 12 tires because they were out of round and would shake on my Maxima.....
But I would take Conti before Falken, Falkens wear very fast. if you can afford/find size try Yokohamas AVS..
It sounds to me like your shop doesn't know how to balance tires properly...


I have had the ContiExtremes and loved them, had no problems at all. They rode better than the Pirelli P6's that came with my Arc, handled better too. Then I got Kumhos. Ick, handle well on bone dry pavement and that's it. And they like to scream while doing it too. My personal preference would probably be the Conti's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
CosmicSaab said:
It sounds to me like your shop doesn't know how to balance tires properly...


I have had the ContiExtremes and loved them, had no problems at all. They rode better than the Pirelli P6's that came with my Arc, handled better too. Then I got Kumhos. Ick, handle well on bone dry pavement and that's it. And they like to scream while doing it too. My personal preference would probably be the Conti's.
I dont know what it was, but I saw them go thru 12 tires balanced to 1/4oz on a roadforce machine....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
975 Posts
holy cow! 38k miles on the stock tires? Ive put 15k on mine and I prolly have another 4k on them left before I get them replaced. My ride came with the Perilli P6s and I <3 them, go for those ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup.. still running on stock tires. they're pretty good.

the whole center thread is gone though. time to start looking
an all season replacement. i'm leaning more towards on the contis extreme
than the ziex 512. but then my friends are telling me to get the falken because
of consumer reports best pick. i just want to have a softer ride since i live
downtown sf and the roads are pretty crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
jason:
i replaced the rossos with the falkens when i bought the car (the rossos were toasted with 19k on them). they handle very well for an all season tire. wet driving is amazing - they cut right through those 101 puddles. wear seems to be ok so far (only about 4k though). ride is like night + day. the falkens don't have 1/100th the tramlining of the rossos and they take that jarring edge off (if you want the sport snap of the rossos you can always add a bit more pressure). plus, i think they're a bit less expensive. so far (and we'll see how they wear) i'd buy them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I toasted off my stock Rosso's in the first 3 months I had the car. Of course, I autocrossed with them multiple times. For the winter I went with the Continental ContiExtremeContact. It took 2 local tire shops 3 times to get them balanced, but once they were, they were great in the rain/snow. As for summer/autocross tires, I switched to Falken Azenis. Unbelievable difference, but they're terrible in the rain. But hey, isn't that what ESP is for? :cheesy: So, here's my question. I need to replace my current set of Falken's, and obviously I want to get the brand new ST-615 Azenis. I was wondering if I could stuff the 245/45/17 under my car without any adverse effects, like rubbing, or if they will even fit on the stock wheels. Obviously being an autocrosser, more tire = faster time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
I had 18" falken ziex 512's on my A4 and they handled like a dream and were very affordable I put about 7k miles on them before selling the car and the treadware was minimal. I also convinced my brother to get thim on his 99 9-3 SE (16") to replace michelin pilot sports, they handle great and he has commented on excellent wet and dry performance as well as being able to get where he needs to go when its snowing. his tires have 15k + miles on them and still show plent of tread.

I purchased my car with 29k miles and a brand new set of 17" Toyo Proxes 4 tires on it. these tires handle great and are very aggressive. A buddy of mine has them in 17's on his 2000 9-5 se and has had a very good experience with them.

but if the decision is btwn conti or falken I would go for falken, my audi had continental tires on them and I took them off b/c i hated them. I have also seen pictures of and heard many horror stories about sidewalls bubbling/bulging on continental tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
wow, 38k really is a lot on the stock rosso's. i have don't even have 17k on mine and they are just about shot. i did autocross one time on them, but they are all on the wear indicators...i know i wouldn't pass inspection with them.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top