SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting ready to wok on the orange bomb (72 with 36,000 miles) and had to use a come along to drag it in to the garage so that I can actually do some work on it. In the process of dragging it in one of the tires gave up the ghost and went flat. I knew I would have to replace all of them. What they are now is a 156SR15. any suggestions as to what works well and what size?

I am going to remove the wheels and clean and pack the bearings and check/fix/replace brakes. Am I likely to need to replace seals?

I have found a service to clean out the gas tank and radiator and hope to get them out later this week.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sandi said:
What they are now is a 156SR15. any suggestions as to what works well and what size?
You mean 165SR15. ;-)

You have a couple options. One is to go with a vintage sized tire, such as the Vredestein Sprint or check out www.cokertire.com. They have several tires available. Original size was 155R15 which is what the cokertire site will tell you is for your model, but you can also select 165SR15's.

If you aren't concerned about staying original size and your suspension is in good shape then you can go with a modern tire size, everything from a 155/80R15 to a 175/65R15 or 185/65R15. If your coil springs are sagging at all, then you may have rubbing issues.

Sandi said:
I am going to remove the wheels and clean and pack the bearings and check/fix/replace brakes. Am I likely to need to replace seals?
How old are the seals? If you don't know, then you may as well do it while you are in there.

Sandi said:
I have found a service to clean out the gas tank and radiator and hope to get them out later this week.
My gas tank wasn't that bad. I pressure washed it as best I could, I still get a little bit of rust in my gas filter so I just replace it every 1000 miles or so. None of the rust is getting in the carb. The radiator on the other hand, I had to get it re-cored, as I had cooling issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire

OK I knew this was not going to be easy, quantify sagging springs. This car has been sitting for 20 years and I have no idea what would be acceptable sag. If you could give me a measurement at the wheel well?

I am going to go for modern size tires.

Seals are I am sure, origional. I will go ahead and order them.
Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sandi said:
OK I knew this was not going to be easy, quantify sagging springs. This car has been sitting for 20 years and I have no idea what would be acceptable sag. If you could give me a measurement at the wheel well?

I am going to go for modern size tires.
Well, that'll be tough to measure right now as the car is in winter storage. :cry:

I can tell you this, I have 165SR15's on my car. Clearance is so tight on the drivers side with the sagging springs that I can't fit my hand between the top of the tire and the edge of the fender any further than the second knuckles. On the passenger side, I can fit my hand up to the beginning of my palm. This probably means the non-sagging side just isn't sagging as much! I know I can't put modern tires on my car until this is taken care of. As I never had a Sonett in "new" condition, I can't tell you what "original" was like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts