SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hmm. The G-Max looks interesting. I thought about the V2's (had them on my old car) but they appear to be back-ordered. Good suggestions so far.. ;ol;

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nitto Motivo's

I got a set of Nitto Motivo's installed today. Fairly new UHP tire so not a lot of driver reviews yet but a lot of the Car mags/sites gave it very good reviews.

I can't give you a personal review yet because I just got them installed this morning and drove to work which is only 5 miles away :cheesy: but the tires cost $150 per tire at Discount Tire Direct and it comes with a 60K tread wear warranty which very high for any type of tire.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
If you do not drive at all in the snow an all season tire is a waste. Keep in mind a tire is a compromise. If you go for the 4 seasons, you are weakening the other 3.

Only problem with summer tires is they seem to not have mileage warranties or very good ones anyway.

You could do the Conti DW however the best tire is going to be one of the Michelins and they come with a mileage warranty.

So go for a good summer tire.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
If you do not drive at all in the snow an all season tire is a waste. Keep in mind a tire is a compromise. If you go for the 4 seasons, you are weakening the other 3.

Only problem with summer tires is they seem to not have mileage warranties or very good ones anyway.

You could do the Conti DW however the best tire is going to be one of the Michelins and they come with a mileage warranty.

So go for a good summer tire.
Somewhat disagree, there are all levels of AS tires, many don't pretend to be snow tires other than for a dusting. And if you go UHP summer you often give up wet capability (some, not all), tire life and noise level.
If a tire wears too fast you are tempted to not change them out and all performance goes out the window. Also summer tires are 1 season, how about the other 2 (spring and fall). In many areas temps are low in spring and fall and summeer tire rubber often doesn't perform well. Sort of like you here about racing, the tires perform best when heated.

If you are a hardcore to the max hard charger, get summer UHP and a second set of snow tires. If average driver (of course none of us are average) then get good AS tires.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Stay away from the Michelin MX 4 Pilots that came stock, I had them on the 08 and wife has them on the 09 XWD.

They suck in snow as I found out too late and even Tire Rack had them as the lowest rating for an all season and they are prone to sidewall leaks that one poster said is the weight of the Aero and in our case the XWD.

I just put replacements on a $250 each and now had to put Hankook snows on. Poor little Michelin had trouble in 3" of light powder and it sure isn't the XWD.

Mech was recommending the Conti. Michelin would not give me a warranty on the replacements because I was putting M&S on a "performance car" as an Aero. Even though they came stock, go figure?

I put General Altimax HP's on my Volvo XC this winter since the indie recommended them or the Conti, very happy with them and I wish I put them one one of the Saabs but dealers were running out. Quiet good ride and they did real well in a dump of 12" of heavy snow we got in October.

Don't get blinded by a brand. Within the Michelin offerings of M&S were some very good tires but at twice the price, and they may have a similar name. Amid the TireRack ratings, the $500 Michelin were rated very high versus the $250 Pilot Sport MXV4 that I bought and were stock replacements. For way less money I could have got better performance out of the Conti or General. I think they were Pilot Super Sports but the name was close.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I just got a new set of Pirelli Four Seasons Plus and I love them. Quiet, good grip, good looks. I had some Kumho Ecsta and Yokohoma S-drive for a bit but they don't compare to the Pirelli at all. Never had the DWS but I've heard nothing but good things from them.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I had new Pirelli P6 Four Seasons when I bought the car and liked them even in snow. Now they have been replaced with the Four Seasons Plus, and are just too rich for my blood. I went with Toyo Proxy Plus which I used to run on all my VW's and have been very happy with them in dry and hard rain....for about half the price.

I always read people saying how great the Conti's are, but when I searched off of here there were alot of comments about sidewalls being to soft and handling decreasing from the stock Pirelli....

Sean

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
yeah that's what i expected to hear, especially over the eagles... what made you change?
Became a person of Fixed income.... The Eagles are Pretty Good but can't compare to the Bridgestones which Far superior Wet Performance. Big Price difference too. On scale of 1-5 I'd give Bridgstone a 5 and the Eagle GT's a 4 and my the Kumho Ecsta'a before them a 3

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Became a person of Fixed income.... The Eagles are Pretty Good but can't compare to the Bridgestones which Far superior Wet Performance. Big Price difference too. On scale of 1-5 I'd give Bridgstone a 5 and the Eagle GT's a 4 and my the Kumho Ecsta'a before them a 3
Oh yeah I hated my Kumho Ecsta. I was considering getting the Eagles if I had to pay for new tires (I've wanted the pole position too but same as you, $$$). Luckily Discount Tire got me the all seasons plus for the difference of my old tires (that i'm still making payments on :cheesy: )

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stay away from the Good Year Eagle RS-A, they were on my Turbo X when I bought it. Poor traction all around, especially winter. I am eyeing up the Pirelli P-Zero Nero. Good price and they rock all other tires in that category on TireRack reviews.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I got a set of Nitto Motivo's installed today. Fairly new UHP tire so not a lot of driver reviews yet but a lot of the Car mags/sites gave it very good reviews.

I can't give you a personal review yet because I just got them installed this morning and drove to work which is only 5 miles away :cheesy: but the tires cost $150 per tire at Discount Tire Direct and it comes with a 60K tread wear warranty which very high for any type of tire.

Hey there. Would you mind posting an update/review of these? I was shown these in Discount and they look good, but as you said, they're kinda new and have not read many reviews on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used to run on Pole Positions, but switched to the Conti DWS awhile back - on my second set already. Both are great but prefer the DWS.

Never have I felt this confident on the road, especially in wet weather. Great tire but think the rolling resistance is higher that that of the Pole Positions. May just be me though.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts