SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies & Gents,

I need a good recommendation for a nice all season tire. I live in DC so snow isn't too bad, but I know from driving my car in wet snow in northern Michigan that the summer rubber I have on now won't cut even the lightest snows we get in the capital. I don't want to break the bank but I'm looking for a good balance between road holding and all weather ability. Any ideas?

As always I'm in your infinite debt for your sage advice and wisdom.

·
Registered
956 Posts
ive been very pleased with my bridgestone potenza g009. handle great in dry, great in wet and did very well in snow. quiet, last long time. but price might be a little high if your budget tire shopping. 99$ for a 205-50-16 on tirerack.com since your on a budget it sounds like, im sure someone will recommend kumho but me personally do not like kumho's at all!! the only one i heard and saw good or decent test results from was the kumho spt which is a performance summer tire so that rules that out. if the g009 are in your price range id recommend them as they are great tires.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yokohama AVID H4 is a great tire, but it's some ridiculously high TW rating... probably not-so-grippy. (they're a "performance" all-season)

my choices for:

195/60/15
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=1998&c=2&sw=false&cs=195&pc=44666&rd=15&vid=003689&ar=60

205/50/16
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=1998&c=1&sw=false&cs=205&pc=28743&rd=16&vid=004876&ar=50

DTD is also doing a $100-off orders of 4 sale until the 20th.

Makes both of those <$300

·
Registered
365 Posts
How much are you looking to spend?

If you’re on the very cheap side I would go with Kumho Ecsta AST.

Or if you can spend an ok amount, then either the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, or
BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (I'm trying to decide between these two for my car). My father has the BFGoodrich g-Force Sports on his volvo 850, and they are some great tires, so of the two I would go with the BFGoodrich's.

·
Registered
365 Posts
nocluetim said:
Hey! That's not very nice! :nono; I bought what I could afford at the time and I'm very happy with my purchase.
Hahahaha:lol: , I didn’t mean like your cheap, I meant like if you don’t have a lot of money to spend.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Big difference between Michigan and Washington DC.

If you job does not demand that you show for "snow days", I would not bother with snow tires at all.

Just run "summer" tires year-round and enjoy the front drive benefits.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
earthworm said:
Big difference between Michigan and Washington DC.

If you job does not demand that you show for "snow days", I would not bother with snow tires at all.

Just run "summer" tires year-round and enjoy the front drive benefits.
Indeed, but I'll be making some journies back to Michigan and need the ability to handle some snow, thus needing a good all season. Wish I could get away with it otherwise. Plus my current tires are about due for a change, so I figured I'd do away with the hassel of a set of dedicated snow tires and compromise on good all seasons. The snows I have are AMAZING, but they reside on ugly steal wheels and, on top of that are in my parents garage in Northern Michigan.

·
Registered
365 Posts
cchanner83 said:
Indeed, but I'll be making some journies back to Michigan and need the ability to handle some snow, thus needing a good all season. Wish I could get away with it otherwise. Plus my current tires are about due for a change, so I figured I'd do away with the hassel of a set of dedicated snow tires and compromise on good all seasons. The snows I have are AMAZING, but they reside on ugly steal wheels and, on top of that are in my parents garage in Northern Michigan.
I've herd that The Continental ContiExtremeContact tires handle well, are priced very good, and wear great. Only problem is you have to run a 205/55, not a 205/50, witch should be fine.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Those falkens I posted are great all-seasons.(they lean more towards performance)Plus,DTD is giving $100 off sets of 4...
tough to beat.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've been running Falkens for a while and am about ready to give up and go to something else. You can get them for a great price but I have had a couple go out of round. Not too good in snow but they do reasonably well in dry conditions. I would recommend switching to snow tires in the winter if you experience snow deeper than a couple inches and have to drive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice all. I think I'm gonna go for the Contis. I'll let you know what sort of luck they bring me.

Also spent the afternoon washing and waxing the car. It looks amazing. I used the Meguire's 3 part paint system. It took a bit of time but the results are very good. My red paint is quite faded and it managed to really bring some life back to the car. I'd post pics but its dark, maybe tomorrow.

Actually, its been a big weekend for the car, she's got new front brakes, an oil change and her parking brake fixed yesterday. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts