Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will soon have to replace my 225 45 17 Rossos :cry:
Hesitate between:
1. Goodyear Eagle F1
2. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
3. Michelin Pilot Sport

I am not looking for all season, mud and snow - but good performance summer tires equally at ease in the wet as in the dry.

Would really appreciate your input. Thank you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
my '94 Turbo had the Pilot Sports as OEM tires. the up-dated version looks good to me and Michelin makes a very round/balanced tire.

my next tire.

Jaime

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have Bridgestone S-03 Potenza 'Pole Positions'. I have found them to be an outstanding wet and dry performer. Love the way the they interact with the sports suspension for outstanding handling.

Make sure you get the S-03 as there are other variety Potenza high-performance summer tires, but they are very weak -- such as the RE040 and RE050.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EP Doc said:
Hey Dave...just curious...how many miles did you get out of your Rossos?
After 6,000 miles I swopped back to front. There is noticeable wear in the center band but I can safely go another 5,000 and then they might be close to tread indicators.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport's in 225/45/17 and can say they are excellent tires. Fairly quiet and sticky. It appears that I will get excellent wear out of them as well. I have almost 18,000 miles on them now and will probably be able to get another 5,000+ out of them. My only critique of the Michelins is that they seem to ride a bit hard. I can't be positive though; I don't have any comparisons as of right now, as they are the only 17" tires I have had on my Saab thus far.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"seem to ride a bit hard"

black_linear said:
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport's in 225/45/17 and can say they are excellent tires. Fairly quiet and sticky. It appears that I will get excellent wear out of them as well. I have almost 18,000 miles on them now and will probably be able to get another 5,000+ out of them. My only critique of the Michelins is that they seem to ride a bit hard. I can't be positive though; I don't have any comparisons as of right now, as they are the only 17" tires I have had on my Saab thus far.
Yes, I agree with Black_Linear that the Michelin tyres appear to give a harder ride that the Pirelli Rosso tyres. I had Michelin tyres as OE on my Boxster and changed them (when worn) for the Rosso's and found it to be a slightly softer ride but gave better grip in the dry and especially the wet. I still prefer the looks and wear of the Michelins though. Difficult choice as you have to live with that choice for quite a while... unless you do some spectacular donuts in a car park!

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IGCameron said:
... unless you do some spectacular donuts in a car park!
With front wheel drive.... I guess we do it in reverse..:roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2002 9-3 SS Vector came with Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/50/17 (launch series). I have just recently replaced 2 of them after 60000 kms. I've chosen the same tires. Excellent ride, superb quality, althought I might consider wintertires this year, during our wet and sometimes icy dutch winter period. The rear tires (changed from front at 30k), will last another 10k kms.

No doubt about it, I will pick a set of new Michelins.
:D

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
IGCameron said:
You should try it. Its great fun!:evil: :nono;
Stop it, I like it......:cheesy:

Hey someone is going to move us to the Lounge if we carry on like this.. or even to the Snug...
By the way does anyone from the other side of the pond know what a Snug is?
Some of us are used to talking about Rossos in the Public, Private, Lounge or the Snug...:lol:

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
twilight said:
My 2002 9-3 SS Vector came with Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/50/17 (launch series). I have just recently replaced 2 of them after 60000 kms. I've chosen the same tires. Excellent ride, superb quality,
No doubt about it, I will pick a set of new Michelins.
:D
I had these on my '98 9-3 and yes excellent. I never swopped the tires, after 140,000 kms or 90,000 miles the back set hadn't used at all. The front I changed every 40,000 kms or 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
Stop it, I like it......:cheesy:

Hey someone is going to move us to the Lounge if we carry on like this.. or even to the Snug...
By the way does anyone from the other side of the pond know what a Snug is?
Some of us are used to talking about Rossos in the Public, Private, Lounge or the Snug...:lol:

I'll be the first to admit.....I'm from "across the pond," and I don't know what a snug is!:confused:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just had my wife's tires on her 900 replaced today with Dunlop SP Sport FM901 from Discount Tires Direct. The car has the Aero 17" wheels that came from my SS with 225/45/17 P-Rossos. Cost per tire is $86 (free shipping), total comes out to $431 mounted and balanced on all four. Of course I can't comment on how it is yet other than it felt more gripy than the P-Rosso's it replaced with at 17K mi and just about done. The Dunlop's had pretty good reviews from both tire rack and 101tires.

hth!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
OMG, you mean my Rosso's will last under 25,000 miles? I use snows in the winter but I drive 25,000 miles per year. I'm used to getting 40,000 miles plus on various tires I had on my '96 900S. You mean these high performance tires wear that quickly? Anybody have any recommendations for reasonable summer/wet tires for Aero that will last longer than 25K miles?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Zin, look for a treadwear rating of 300 or higher. Those usually indicate a high-carbon rubber compound that will last way more than 25K miles. I have Yokohama A550s on one car that have 30K miles and still have about 60-70 percent tread left.

The PZeros are something like 240 or thereabouts. I'd check out the Avon M550s ...$100 a tire and a 360 (!) treadwear rating...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts