SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated w/ the following site at all, just wanted to pass on a good deal that I just got.

After researching prices and getting input from this forum, I decided to go w/ the Falkens as my next tire. I was just waiting until I needed them. When I went to www.discounttiredirect.com today to order, I see they have free shipping until 6/16. I think previously it was around $30 for shipping. I got the FALKEN ZIEX ZE-512, 215/55R-16 for $76 each. $304 total, to my door. Sweet!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the post. That is a good deal. Please let us know how the tires work for you. I'm torn between the Falkens and the Avons myself.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I just got mine installed today, same thing. I did a bit worse than you though.

That's sweet deal, seeing as how I just paid $89 each, per the website
:cry:
They put em on & everything for $425

I have to say, after the rumble strips I had for tires befre, these were like a dream. They remind me of when I forst got the car, when my first thought was "this is like riding a cloud!" Then my cloud whoosed past everything else on the road. :cheesy:

It was a bit tense watching the tire monkeys tossing the wheels around. The only thing I was a bit leary of was the weights they put on. They look like they were attached with double-sided tape, and are only about 3mm away from the calipers. About 9 1cm square bits. They scare me. What's the correct way of putting weights on, as I've never seen these from the dealership?

I look forward to testing them out on my road trip in 1.5 weeks!!!
Sadly, I will never buy Pirellis again, which is sad because I was stoked when I saw them on the car when I first picked it up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got those Falkens for my old leased '02 9-3 SE about eight months before I turned in my car and I loved them. The stock P6000 Sport Veloces were crap but amazingly lasted about 35k miles. I got the Falkens for $74 each w/ free shipping as well from some tire site, can't remember which one. Paid an add'l $80 at my local tire shop to mount and balance, dispose of old. Should always factor that into online buying.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mosaabie said:
I got those Falkens for my old leased '02 9-3 SE about eight months before I turned in my car and I loved them. The stock P6000 Sport Veloces were crap but amazingly lasted about 35k miles. I got the Falkens for $74 each w/ free shipping as well from some tire site, can't remember which one. Paid an add'l $80 at my local tire shop to mount and balance, dispose of old. Should always factor that into online buying.
Yeah, I know that's part of the equation, but it's almost always offset in the much lower price of the tires than at retail.

A few years ago I had Costco do the mounting and balancing - real cheap, like $45 for everything incl disposal, but they don't do it anymore if you don't buy there

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I bet it's not a free shipping to HAWAII..;)

BTW.. I had to put a second set of tires and I chose Fuzion ZRi tires..
I got it at the local Firestone Last Christmas..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WASAAB said:
I bet it's not a free shipping to HAWAII..;)

BTW.. I had to put a second set of tires and I chose Fuzion ZRi tires..
I got it at the local Firestone Last Christmas..
You're right. From their site:

Free Shipping
• Now thru June 15th!
All Tires
All Wheels
• Online Orders Only
• Valid only for UPS Ground service to the 48 contiguous states

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey Jet,
I made the same buy as yourself for the Falkens, they are shipping from Dallas and I'm expecting them Friday, will attempt to get an install appointment for Saturday. Have you received yours yet, did you install them at a local Discount Tire? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Viscouse said:
It was a bit tense watching the tire monkeys tossing the wheels around. The only thing I was a bit leary of was the weights they put on. They look like they were attached with double-sided tape, and are only about 3mm away from the calipers. About 9 1cm square bits. They scare me. What's the correct way of putting weights on, as I've never seen these from the dealership?
Double-sided tape is exactly right -- you'll find that type of weight, and only that type of weight, on all high-end wheel installations. I'd be irked if I found anything else on my car -- they are the only way to balance a wheel if you value your rims. Look on other expensive cars and any 9-3SS at your dealer -- you'll find the tape-weights.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
cleveland_saab said:
Double-sided tape is exactly right -- you'll find that type of weight, and only that type of weight, on all high-end wheel installations. I'd be irked if I found anything else on my car -- they are the only way to balance a wheel if you value your rims. Look on other expensive cars and any 9-3SS at your dealer -- you'll find the tape-weights.
OK, I'll buy that. I just wished they had wiped the brake dust off before applying them. Nothing sticks good to a dirty surface. :evil:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
needashower said:
Hey Jet,
I made the same buy as yourself for the Falkens, they are shipping from Dallas and I'm expecting them Friday, will attempt to get an install appointment for Saturday. Have you received yours yet, did you install them at a local Discount Tire? Thanks for your help.
Mine are supposed to come in on Friday, but I'm busy this weekend. Probably have to wait until next weekend to have them put on. Still not sure where I'm going yet., but I don't think there are any Discount tires near me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Had my Falkens installed on Saturday and I am pleased with the early results, most notable is that the Falkens are much quieter than the P6s. The Falkens soften the ride just a bit but are very linear and predictable, especially on the highway. Paid $304 for the tires plus $53 to mount and balance with life time rotations at Discount Tires, an excellent value in my opinion. I could have spent more but why? BTW, these are great looking tires!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
needashower said:
Had my Falkens installed on Saturday and I am pleased with the early results, most notable is that the Falkens are much quieter than the P6s. The Falkens soften the ride just a bit but are very linear and predictable, especially on the highway. Paid $304 for the tires plus $53 to mount and balance with life time rotations at Discount Tires, an excellent value in my opinion. I could have spent more but why? BTW, these are great looking tires!
I had them installed yesterday. Also noticed they are much, much smoother. Haven't had a chance to go into a corner yet.

I wish I had a Discount Tire near me. I had to go to Sears (only place open yesterday, I would have had to wait for a while if not then). $91 with the taxes and tire disposal. :evil: Oh well....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts