SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the set installed this morning. Was going to wait it out, but my Pilot Primacies were just about shot, plus one developed a bubble in the sidewall. So I figured it was the perfect opportunity to get new tires.

Got the Nokian Z's for my 9-5 Aero. 225/45ZR17 94W load index.

Just put 200+ miles on them and to sum it all up in one word...AWESOME!!!

Noise:
I can't believe how quiet they are compared to the OE Primacies that the car came with. I thought a lot of the noise I was hearing was just engine, exhaust...etc., but never realized how bad the Primacies were. In fact, these might even be quiter than the Nokian WR's I have for winter.

Handling:
Absolutely stunning. Effortless and total confidence in and out of turns. Nice stiff sidewalls, but smooth over rough pavement. I know this probably isn't the correct term as it applies more towards suspension, but it seems like there's much less 'body roll' now. Much more responsive as far as quick turns around road hazards, potholes..etc., again...total confidence.

Look:
Well, it's a tire...but as far as they go, it seems to have a nice aggressive look. Nicer than the Primacies for sure. Cool features such as curb rash protection (just an extension of the sidewall that hangs a bit past the rim). Also I've been told that they're excellent in wet weather, hasn't rained yet today but by the tread pattern you can tell it will just push water aside.

Price:
$770 for all four balanced, mounted, stems. Not bad considering I was getting prices up to $250/tire plus mounting...etc. I know they're a bit more than some other tires, but I've been so happy and impressed with the WR's for winter, I didn't really want to go another route.

Tread life:
Only worry I have is that on Nokian's site they state a UTQG treadwear index of 340. Tire itself says 300 right on it, so we'll see what happens in a few thousand miles.

Overall:
Couldn't be happier as they've far exceeded any other performance tires I've used in the past on other cars right off the bat including Potenzas, Good Year F1's, Michelins, Yokohamas and Pirellis.

Just thought you all might like to know incase you're shopping for new tires :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Nice write up, thanks ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good review.

I've been trying to find a tyre dealer in the UK that sell these tyres since someone first mentioned them on this forum a while back - no luck so far.....

Maybe in a few months they'll be available :cry:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xalfa said:
Good review.

I've been trying to find a tyre dealer in the UK that sell these tyres since someone first mentioned them on this forum a while back - no luck so far.....

Maybe in a few months they'll be available :cry:
Not sure if you've tried this. But here's a link to Nokian's site with a dealer list. Granted, not all of them do carry them, but I found mine in the USA through this section of their site.

I went out driving a bit more last night and still have a smile on my face because of these. :D

I never thought tires could make me so happy!

Good luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks Cryptical, I had checked that out but was put off by the location of the dealers.

I've just phoned them and they've put me in touch with a tyre place in Sheffield which is where I work.

I'm just waiting to here back from them now so hopefully they can get them.

I'll be needing to change the fronts soon and the backs a while later - but am tempted to replace all four.

You say that they're better than the Bridgestones you had - which ones did you have? I've got the S-03 Pole Positions and they're the best tyre I've had apart from the tyre wear.

The Nokian's UTQG are 300 as you say, but the S-03's are only 220 - so the Nokian's 'should' last longer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xalfa said:
Thanks Cryptical, I had checked that out but was put off by the location of the dealers.

I've just phoned them and they've put me in touch with a tyre place in Sheffield which is where I work.

I'm just waiting to here back from them now so hopefully they can get them.

I'll be needing to change the fronts soon and the backs a while later - but am tempted to replace all four.

You say that they're better than the Bridgestones you had - which ones did you have? I've got the S-03 Pole Positions and they're the best tyre I've had apart from the tyre wear.

The Nokian's UTQG are 300 as you say, but the S-03's are only 220 - so the Nokian's 'should' last longer.
Yes they were the S-03's but had them on a different car (95 Volvo 850). Granted a different car and different ride, but so far I do like the Nokian's MUCH better. I did have the suspension tuned a bit on the Volvo if that makes any difference.

My friend just went from Potenza's to the Nokian Z's on his Audi S4 and he couldn't believe the difference either.

I ordered them from a shop here in Connecticut, and the owner was trying to put me into a set of either Bridgestones or Kuhmo's, but I was set on the Nokians. He had no experience with the Z's but ordered them for me. He called yesterday morning and said "Dude...your tires are here and they look NASTY (in a good way). Let's get these on your car so you can take me for a ride!"

He was quite impressed to say the least :cheesy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
:cheesy: That's great Cryptical.

Thanks for letting me know. It's definitely the Nokian Z's for my car - if I can get them ;)

Will let you know how I get on and will post a price for the UK.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good News :cheesy: .

The tyre place came back to me, my car will be running on Nokian Z's on the 23rd July.

Went for all 4.

Price is £90 a corner including VAT and fitting - bargain!

Got an hours drive early Saturday morning there and back with a mixture of motorway and twisties - looking forward to that.

Thanks Cryptical.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xalfa said:

The tyre place came back to me, my car will be running on Nokian Z's on the 23rd July.

Went for all 4.

Got an hours drive early Saturday morning there and back with a mixture of motorway and twisties - looking forward to that.

Thanks Cryptical.
Wow!
Not a bad deal at all! Let me know how you like them :)

Glad I could help :cool:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
xalfa said:

Good news indeed :cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The closest dealer is over 250 miles away from my place. I wish I could get them but I don't think it's worth the drive. Oh well, I'll either get the toyo proxes 4's or the proxes t1-r's.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
£90 each is good,

mytyres do them link
a bit cheaper but then you need to pay for fitting -works out about the same.

My next tyre purchase will be Nokian [recently got Nokian NRVi's for the 9000 very good, well engineered]

·
Registered
312 Posts
Couldn't wait until Saturday.

Had to go into the office today (Sheffield), the tyres had arrived at the tyre place yesterday.

Had them fitted at lunchtime today.

First impressions are that the tyres are extremely quiet, couldn't hear them over the engine/exhaust.

Steering seems more responsive than the Bridgestone Potenzas and seem to have plenty of grip even though the tyres haven't been scrubbed in yet - haven't pressed them hard yet, will wait a while.

They did ride smoothly over broken road surfaces and patchy tarmac (Sheffield's crappy roads).

Completely agree with Cryptical's review, I am impressed.

Will try them out in the rain with some aggressive acceleration and braking - this is where the Potenza's really impressed me, gunning it in 2nd/3rd in the wet didn't cause the TCS light to come on at all - see how the Nokian's fare - not that I'm wishing for rain :D

Additionally for £90 a tyre - excellent value.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Please post more info and how it is going. My Pirelli's need to be replaced soon. Not sure which one is best though :confused: other than the Pirelli being more expensive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I ran with with Pirelli P6000 and Goodyear F1 GS-D2's on my old Alfa,

The car came with Pirelli's, they were a good tyre but squealed a lot when pushing them hard round corners/roundabouts - very predictable.

The GS-D2's were noisy, but better dry/wet grip than the P6000's and broke away without warning when pushing really hard - BUT that was on my Alfa.

I've never tried the GS-D3, but a lot of members here do rate them highly - so I can't comment.

I had Michelin Primacys on the Aero originally and didn't really like them, very noisy. Then changed to Avon ZZ3's which were a grippy quiet tyre. Had the Potenza's on next and they were fantastic in the wet and dry, also quiet - downside was the wear, very soft compound, haven't got one year of them, but I was still tempted to buy them.

My wife drove the car this morning and was astounded how quiet the car was. She also said that the steering seemed to be lighter too.

Will post more information as I go.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
For anyone looking for performance tyres on a budget, i can recommend Federal SS595's. 225-45/17's are £60 a corner, they beat Toyo TR1's, Dunlop Sports and Pirelli P6000's in a group test. They are directional and look the biz, i can't spin them at all, not something i could say of my previous P6000's or Kumho Ecsta's with the standard 150bhp.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So that was your Saab high revving through the high street with your baseball cap on ;) trying to spin your wheels.

That's impressive, esp. for £60, what speed rating are they Kermit and what's the treadwear like?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
xalfa said:
Couldn't wait until Saturday.

Had to go into the office today (Sheffield), the tyres had arrived at the tyre place yesterday.

Had them fitted at lunchtime today.

First impressions are that the tyres are extremely quiet, couldn't hear them over the engine/exhaust.

Steering seems more responsive than the Bridgestone Potenzas and seem to have plenty of grip even though the tyres haven't been scrubbed in yet - haven't pressed them hard yet, will wait a while.

They did ride smoothly over broken road surfaces and patchy tarmac (Sheffield's crappy roads).

Completely agree with Cryptical's review, I am impressed.

Will try them out in the rain with some aggressive acceleration and braking - this is where the Potenza's really impressed me, gunning it in 2nd/3rd in the wet didn't cause the TCS light to come on at all - see how the Nokian's fare - not that I'm wishing for rain :D

Additionally for £90 a tyre - excellent value.
Xalfa -
Glad you agree and are happy with them!
I've just finished about 1500 miles on mine including a 200 mile trek through some serious downpour. These tires shine in the rain and wet roads. I couldn't even notice any hydroplaning and they still held the road with total confidence. I've been having a lot more fun since I got these tires...the improvement over the Primacies are just uncanny.

By far the best performance tire I've ever used, and as quiet as a nice all-season comfort tire. Even my wife noticed while riding in the passenger seat how much quieter and smoother the car felt.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts