SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past month or so I've been getting alot of tire noise when I drive around. That ever-so-annoying thump-thump-thump that you hear when you think or tires are imbalanced or overfilled with air. So I went to get them balanced, paid about 40 bucks and was on my way. For the most part it went away. However, when I make turns to the right, the noise comes back. Louder, as well.

So I reckon it's something to do with the front left tire, but I haven't the slightest clue. At first glance when I inspected the tire it looks fine. Has about 60% of tread still left. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Feel around the inside of the tyre with your hand to make sure there are no bumps or damage you can't see with the naked eye.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just had my continental contisports 1 put on about a week ago, and i've noticed that they seem to make loud resonating rumble noise between 25 and 30 miles per hour (then it gets a little quieter but at around 55 it becomes loud again). I didn't notice this noise before winter time before i put my snow tires on. These tires are almost at the end of their safe usable life (lincoln's head is fully showing if you know what i mean). I've seen some comments that the 9-5 seems to do this with some tires after a certain amount of wear. Is this an accurate assesment of my situation? is it just a simple case of needing new tires?

By the way, i had my alignment and wheel balancing done when i put these summer tires on.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What kind of tires are you using?

I had a simmilar problem when soon after I got my 9-5 (about a year). The dealer had put on some sporty type of performance-tread tires on the car (pirelli?). These are the type that can only roll in one direction as they only push water out of the way if rolling in that direction(looked like a v pattern >>>>>>>>>>>). This means that they couldn't be rotated to the opposie side of the car (i.e. only front to back, not side to side).

While my tread hadn't worn much (still legal accoding to lincoln's noggin) I did have a very pronounced thwap-ing sound that matched the rate of the tires.

The tire shop I went to said something about "cupping." :

"Cupping (also called dipping or scalloping) is another common tire wear problem. According to Goodyear (www.goodyear.com), cupping typically occurs on front tires, though rear tires can cup, too. It may be a sign that your vehicle's wheels are out of balance, or that suspension or steering system parts are worn out." (http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8750)

It did turn out that I needed new rear shocks about 10,000 miles after that. :cry:

To stay away from the problem I now rotate as follows:
(1) rear tires to front - keeping the same side
(2) front tires to rear - switching sides

Good Luck,
Al

·
Registered
449 Posts
i know about cupping... my brother had some cheap champiro tires on and they were cupping badly. if you looked at the rear tires you could see the patches of rubber that werent touching the ground because they looked darker than the parts that were touching. I dont think mine are cupping. They weren't before winter when i had my snow tires installed. Can low amount of tread cause this noise?

·
Registered
449 Posts
forget about this.. i noticed that one of the front wheels doesnt even have a counterweight installed. I have a feeling that is the problem. They always manage to mess something up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another possibility are the bearings. I had the same thing, but didn't make sense as my tires were new, balanced, and aligned. Does the pitch of the thumping change when making left turns? Right turns? If so, it could indicate the bearings are gone.

·
Registered
449 Posts
No it is not the bearings... i've determined that it was because 3 out of the four tires were balanced improperly and the tires are at the wear markers. Apparently i've read that the contisportcontacts get really loud on cars when they wear out. Lots of reviews on tirerack.com... time for a new set of some tires. Not sure what to get though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts