SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Saab 9-3 manual lists all seasons tires to be 215/55 R16 97 H. I want to buy tires from Costco that are 215/55 R16 93 H (tire load 93 instead 97). the specific tire is not available in load 97. A couple of questions that I have are:

- Do some other years have 93H tire specs?
- Will Costco let me install lower load tires?

Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't worry about the load rating, Costco won't care. It really won't matter unless hauling a lot of weight and if thats the case the car won't move. Now it's time for a tire load engineer to tell me otherwise. If it was my car and the tires priced right I wouldn't care.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry about the load rating, Costco won't care. It really won't matter unless hauling a lot of weight and if thats the case the car won't move. Now it's time for a tire load engineer to tell me otherwise. If it was my car and the tires priced right I wouldn't care.
I am not worried about the tire load. I am running winters that have load rating of 93 (which is what manual says). So, it is confusing that winters have load rating of 93 and summers of 97.

Costco site has some kind of disclaimer that says they may not mount tires that don't conform to the manufacturers specs.

Well, I will go and ask...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Im almost positive that my stock tires had a load index of 93, which were the Perelli P6's, and both of my sets of tires now have a load index of 93....which is still over 1400lbs.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I dont ever plan on having my car up on two wheels so im guessing a load rating of 93 works just fine in my case. But you may be right, my P6's may have been 97, but ever since I have gotten rid of those POS tires, mine have been 93. and that has been 4 years now, so I think the OP should be fine, granted he is in a SC which is a big heavier than my car...But unless you plan on driving like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD8_zGsWp7c you should be fine

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone tried getting tires with a lower Load Rating installed at Costco? It seems that they may refuse to do it?

What if I just take the wheels instead of the car? I can say they belong to a 2005 Saab 9-3 which specs 93 rating.. after 2006 it became 97 and as far as I know nothing changed on the car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My experience is with trucks, but I've not had issues with different load ratings (though I've gone the other direction with them). Best approach would be to look up the actual weight the tire is rated for and look up the weight per axle of your car. Make sure that you have some extra room for comfort between the amount the tires are rated for and the amount of weight you'll likely be putting on them. Chances are that to safely load the car to rated gross weight you need the 97 tires, but probably don't need them if you aren't loading heavily.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
IMHO a bad move. The tires that even Saab put on the auto combi were substandard for the load and not allowed to be imported into some Euro countries. I found this out when I was trying to track why I had micro leaks in the side walls.

Also when a small dealer in town put new Michelin's on later I noted that in a hand written note he wrote "no warranty". Needless to say I won't go back there, he never said a word till I called and asked why.

·
Registered
35 Posts
93 rating is good for 1433 lbs per tire
97 rating is 1609 lbs
so we are talking about a difference of 173 lbs per tire

the gross weight of the car is about 3500 lbs so there is a lot of safety margin. I wonder if Saab spec'd those tires for europe where a lot of folks tow with their cars.

Also I can't get understand why Saab changed the rating in 2006 when there was no change in the car itself. Maybe it's because they introduced the Sportcombi and wanted to commonize the specs across the board?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
That was sort of my point, the additional weight of the combi and then changes like automatic and haldex. I think my car just went over the max the tires could handle and the result was sidewall leaks that were so microscopic they wouldn't even show in tank tests yet I had to add air to a few of the tires every two weeks. Took the car to the dealer and tire shop a few times and they were even suggesting that there was some loss of air through certain alloy wheels which is pure BS. Later that year they grew enough to show bubbles. Meanwhile, my wife's car is a 2.0, manual sedan and has had no leak issues at all on the same tires. I now have 4 good Michelin's in the garage that will go on here car at some point cause they sure as hell aren't going back on mine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm actually using 91load rated 215/50/17 winter tires on my 2.0 fwd sedan. Recommended is 94. I don't tow or carry a lot of passengers.

I did some calculations with a 91 tire's max load and I still have some headroom according to the max axle load in my users manual. I do notice that the sidewalls flex a bit more, so just need to up the PSI by a few to about 37psi climatized.

I just hope I don't get that microleak issue that you did.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It was a pain in the rear walking out to go somewhere and having the warnings to pull over going off. At least with my Corvette I can get very accurate pressure readings and still wonder why Saab didn't go with that system. I don't know about you but I don't walk around and do tire pressures once a week only perhaps every month or two or change of seasons.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Nice thing about the Vetts since 1997, very accurate readings on all tires with the push of a button. I check every ride and then after about a half an hour just to track the rise and it's not usually more than a pound after the tire heats.

Seasonal I'll see a drop of about 4 pounds when the temps go from the 60's of fall to the 30's of early winter.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
2006 Saab 9-3 manual lists all seasons tires to be 215/55 R16 97 H. I want to buy tires from Costco that are 215/55 R16 93 H (tire load 93 instead 97). the specific tire is not available in load 97. A couple of questions that I have are:

- Do some other years have 93H tire specs?
- Will Costco let me install lower load tires?

Thank you
IMHO a bad move. The tires that even Saab put on the auto combi were substandard for the load and not allowed to be imported into some Euro countries. I found this out when I was trying to track why I had micro leaks in the side walls.

Also when a small dealer in town put new Michelin's on later I noted that in a hand written note he wrote "no warranty". Needless to say I won't go back there, he never said a word till I called and asked why.
93 rating is good for 1433 lbs per tire
97 rating is 1609 lbs
so we are talking about a difference of 173 lbs per tire

the gross weight of the car is about 3500 lbs so there is a lot of safety margin. I wonder if Saab spec'd those tires for europe where a lot of folks tow with their cars.

Also I can't get understand why Saab changed the rating in 2006 when there was no change in the car itself. Maybe it's because they introduced the Sportcombi and wanted to commonize the specs across the board?
The tires I bought a year ago (225/40/18R Kumho Ecsta 4X XL) came in 92 LR. Stock spec is 95.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Lol three things not to cheap out on? tires brakes steering.

I am with Tunnan and the others good for - N-raged checks his pressures thats excellent; bad that he runs cheap *** tires. You like to go fast? Then buy good tires, and H rated minimal load capacity is marginal.

My Goodyear buddies will tell you that tire pressure fluctuates 1-2 psi each ten degree of ambient air temperature change.

-That 4 psi changes most folks can tell the difference.
-That a two psi difference side to side at the front with low profile tires will generally cause the vehicle not to track straight.
-that air in the tire can cause issues, on race tires we use nitrogen because its less prone to have moisture in it, moisture boiling off inside a race tire will cause significant degradation in tire performance - grip.
-nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules, so the loss of nitrogen compared to air in a tire is less.
- i used to keep a nitrogen cylinder just for tires. I should do that again I think. Its easy not to take care of details.

I studied tire stuff a while ago; The air leaks out of the tire itself , because its not a perfect membrane; and at the tire valve. Also at the bead of the tire to rim, especially on older rims and winter tire/rim combos that are not kept clean and put away salty...etc

The prime cause of flat tires is low tire pressure. If all cars had properly inflated tires in the USA there would a be a staggering saving in fuel savings, which influenced the government regarding energy conservation, and caused the mandating of tire pressure monitors.

That and Ford Exploders falling over.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Just to clear one thing up about running cheap tires, when the leaks persisted and on the last check finally showed, I just had them replace the two still good tread Michelin's @ $250 each with what was Saab stock for the car.

That week after, a few posts and a comment later from that fellow in Spain, I found out that Saab had put substandard tires on. Bad Saab :nono;

I now have all four in the garage and proper snows on that since I split my driving between the 98' Vette and , old Volvo and the Saab, I just may leave the snows on and it will balance out in cost even if they wear out.

I drive sometimes in a "spirited" fashion but never exceed the ratings. Had I known the car would have got 4 new Primacy instead of 2 Pilot Sports. My wife has a manual, 2.0, sedan so it's much lighter and she has not had any problems. Combi + XWD + automatic = problems.

Even though I never load the combi at all, I still recommend getting tires that are well at or above specs.

Tires, suspension or brakes? Penny wise = pound foolish. Get the right tires. ;ol;;ol;

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Yup that guy in Spain is alright, thats the guy with AP brakes right? Good deal.

The P6 that came on my Saab at 90k kilometers were done like dinner; I ran them from April until September, when I got the car two years ago. In September when I got back from a Roadtrip to Delaware, the rear tires were vibrating a lot. So I checked and they were down to the cord, steel belts peeking through....just lucky I guess they didnt fail on the road.

Thats when I went DWS;it was too soon for real winter tires.

That said, this winter I have to say the DWS have done very well. But the one thing DWS dont do well is turn. Start/stop is okay but turning? Be prepared to continue straight on if you dont get it woah'd right down.

But it is difficult to find correctly rated tires and thats a fact. And you pay for that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts