SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out to load what I thought were my winter tires ( on rims) into my 99 wagon ( purchased a couple of months back). I noticed that 1) the tires on the car now are M+S ( Fuzion HRI , 215,55R16 93H), which seems to fit the manual recommendation for summer size, not winter, and 2) the winter ones I was going to put on are ( at least 3 of them, one is a Michelin, different tire pattern which I suspect is another issue!) Nokian Hakkapeliitta 195 ,60R15 88T....so the questions are, what is the diference , both are M+S , which I think is really an all season, no? and is there any sense in switching to the 15s for the winter, and for that matter, are those rims going to fit ( I suspect they were on there before)... also, are the 15s ok - manual says 65s are ok, are 60s much different? ....the other obvious question is whether its advisable to put different ( unmatched) winter tires on at all ( 3 Nokian, 1 Michelin)...

Thanks for the advise....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
rfsaab said:
Just went out to load what I thought were my winter tires ( on rims) into my 99 wagon ( purchased a couple of months back). I noticed that 1) the tires on the car now are M+S ( Fuzion HRI , 215,55R16 93H), which seems to fit the manual recommendation for summer size, not winter, and 2) the winter ones I was going to put on are ( at least 3 of them, one is a Michelin, different tire pattern which I suspect is another issue!) Nokian Hakkapeliitta 195 ,60R15 88T....so the questions are, what is the diference , both are M+S , which I think is really an all season, no? and is there any sense in switching to the 15s for the winter, and for that matter, are those rims going to fit ( I suspect they were on there before)... also, are the 15s ok - manual says 65s are ok, are 60s much different? ....the other obvious question is whether its advisable to put different ( unmatched) winter tires on at all ( 3 Nokian, 1 Michelin)...

Thanks for the advise....
M+S means mud and snow. Unless the tires have a little snowflake icon on them somewhere, they are not considered winter tires, but rather all seasons. I would be weary of putting 3 of one tire and then 1 of another as it may cause strange handling issues, especially when in the snow or ice. Usually when you are buying less than 4 tires, you should buy 2.

The size of the tire really doesn't matter much. I run a 225/45/17 no matter what, it's the tread that makes the difference.

The 225 is the width of the tire, the 45 is the ratio of the height of the rubber compared to the width (higher number, taller tire) and the 17 is the size of the wheel. So looking at the sizes you have, your winter tires are a thinner, taller tire on a smaller wheel, which is great for winter, so that size should be fine. Those Nokian Hakkapeliitta's are a dedicated winter tire. This look like them?

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx?season=winter

Please be careful with your tires, especially in extreme weather conditions.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Okay, in order:

* M & S means they are "all season" tires, which more-or-less means all seasons only for places that have no snow.
* Snowflake & mountain symbol means tires are good for severe winter conditions (like snow!!!!). May be seen in combination with M&S.

You can use 15" wheels and tires on your '99 wagon (I do on my '01) as long as the wheels fit properly on the hubs and over the brakes. The 215/55-16 is the correct size for your summer tires. 195/60-15 will be very low (tire too small) and cause your speedo to read way high - I use 195/65-15 in winter myself.

Those Hakkas are an excellent winter tire, even though the size is pretty small for your car. I would not use a mismatched set. If the rims fit correctly then I would look at either getting another Hakka in the same size to replace the one Michelin, (and putting up with the inaccurate speedo, and being careful of load and speed) or ideally if they are old & worn getting a good set of 195/65-15 or 205/65-15 winter tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking the Hakkas I have must be a different ( perhaps not the RSI?) , or an older version...don't think the tread pattern is the same, however, let me check and see... willl also look for the snowflakes...I agree that it would not be a great idea to go with unmatched...I'll have to try to find a 4th one the same.... thanks for all the other info...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had another look, they are the Nokian Hakka 1 , which I suspect is an older model, although, based on a search , must be a good one, one of the sites I looked at had them at about $180..... is there anything similar....that might not be so much $$$ ...?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The RSi's are $145 I think. There is a thread on them somewhere 'round here...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, are you saying that I could get away with one of those , along with the other three Hakka 1 tires. I had a look at Hakka 2s on a website, which seened similar in tread design , although not as "busy " of a tread as the 1. Might go with that if there is no safety issue, otherwise I guess I'm up against buying a pair of something and going that route?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
rfsaab said:
So, are you saying that I could get away with one of those , along with the other three Hakka 1 tires. I had a look at Hakka 2s on a website, which seened similar in tread design , although not as "busy " of a tread as the 1. Might go with that if there is no safety issue, otherwise I guess I'm up against buying a pair of something and going that route?
Well, the "safest" way to go about it is to just buy a pair of tires. How much are the Haka 1's worn?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess at least 50% ...lots of tread left , ....hate to just toss them... the other thing I'm surprised at is how good the Fuzion HRIs are in the snow, we had a pretty good storm here in the east this week and I had no issues gettting around in it, course I've been driving in this stuff for 30 odd years, mostly with all seasons so pretty used to it...also pretty flat here so no real issues with mountains, etc.... I know it would be an improvement to go with winter, and I extend the life of the Fuzions as well.... local mechanic said to put the unmatched one on with them and drive it, but I'm a bit leary of that...although tread pattern is similar, the Hakkas are much more agressive looking...

Thanks for the replies...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts