SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several things that I learned while replacing the intermediate pipe.

1. Check the dealer for this part. The dealer charged $147 (Canadian) while aftermarket one was over $200.

2. Always replace the clamps on both ends. Yes, your old ones may look good but these clamps are designed not just to hold the two pipes but also provide a seal. It think they are made of soft metal to conform to the pipes. The price on the clamps were $13 each from the dealer. The bolts do not come with the clamps so you'll have to purchase them separately from a hardware store (get stainless steel if possible).

3. You'll find that the new pipe is about 1" shorter than the original. This is normal since the flexible part of the pipe expands like an accordion. Unfortunately, you can't just stretch it since it contracts as soon as you release it. The middle muffler (resonantor) does have some play but this means you neeed someone to push the middle muffler while you tighten the clamp. Make sure you have someone around who can give you a hand.

The job took just under an hour and the hardest part of this repair was removing the rusted bolts. Just remove one of the bolts, since the clamps can be pried open. In other words, remove the easier of the two. I wish someone had told me this :(

You can purchase just the flexible part of the pipe from autopart stores, so if you're pretty handy, can you save yourself $100 or so dollars by replacing just that part. Just make sure that the rest of the pipe is still solid.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Are most of the joints clamped together? I guess I haven't looked underneath at my exhaust in too much detail. My flex pipe went out and I just had a muffler shop put one on. Cost me 90$ and the welded it up!

Tboy

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tboy said:
Are most of the joints clamped together? I guess I haven't looked underneath at my exhaust in too much detail. My flex pipe went out and I just had a muffler shop put one on. Cost me 90$ and the welded it up!

Tboy
Yes most of the exhaust components are clamped.

The flexble portion of the pipe can be bought for about $30 US, so if you can weld it then that would be the least expensive option.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any tips on getting a good seal?
I've got the new pipe installed, but I'm having a helluva time getting the joints leak-free. It seems like the clamps should pull them together, but they aren't quite.
Heat the female ends?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
It's probably not an official approved repair method, but I've used the copper colored permatek high temp silicone and it works well.

Even on the exhaust I haven't had it burn off, and it stays flexible. Since I've replaced my exhaust one piece at a time I've needed to use something since the joints get just a little distorted. Another good reason to use it is that it makes it relatively easy to take the joint apart in the future (it seems to keep the pieces from rusting together).

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Just replaced the intermediate (flex) pipe last night. I was prepared to have to cut the clamps and to have all sorts of trouble. It was really easy. 3 of the 4 bolts on the two claimps holding the pipe in place came out easy as cake. The fourth bolt was a real bear, but I just pried open that clamp. There was very little rust on any component, but you could see the exhaust soot on the old flex pipe where the leak was. I spent more time jacking the car and putting jack stands that I did in actually removing and replacing the pipe. The most difficult aspect of the replacement process was pulling the flex pipe apart to fit between the catylitic converter and the middle muffler. I just loosely fitted one connection in the front and then pulled the middle muffler up and loosely fitted the rear connection. I then tightened the clamps up and they seemed to pull the pipes together. I probably spent about 1.5 hours total, but that also included a complete oil change and a general look-about to the underside of the car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
flex pipe

I just met a new mechanic from my little town I live in.He's actually honest, unlike alot of other mechanics I meet. He took off my resonator and replaced and welded a new pipe on for $40. He said I will need new flex pipes and he can do the job for 90$. He also said I need a new oil pan.I have a real bad leak. Hopefully once I get my bracket mounted on the engine it will solve most of the problems I'm having with this car. So I noticed that since that pipe got changed the car got some speed in it! ooh can't wait to take her for a real ride!soon, hopefully Win gets me my parts this weekend off and shipped out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts