SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to seal that up without replacing the oil pan or taking it out and welding it?
Bubble gum? anything?
i am looking for a $4 or $40 fix not a $400 fix.

Thanks.
David

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you can get the crack to clean you could put some JB Weld on it. Check into aluminum welding otherwise.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The most important question is why it cracked in the first place? Check the engine and transmission mounts. You probably have a broken mount and the pan is hitting the frame when you accelerate, brake and change gears.

JB Weld is a possibility but you need to make sure that the pan is 100% free of oil. Any oil left in there will seep through the crack before the JB Weld has time to cure and render it useless. Another option is gasket maker. I used it successfully on an almost new slightly perforated pan on my previous car (rock on the side of the road nicked the bottom corner of the pan)

My advice is repair it professionally or replace it. Your engine is worth a lot more. If the fix doesn't work it'll cost you a lot more to replace an engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bottom corner scraped against the ground it looks like. overnight the amount that spills on the ground is a 4 inch puddle.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You would have to drain the oil. Then pour solvent down the oil filler tube to hopefully wash the rest of the oil out, while keeping the oil plug open to drain. Then squirt some rubbing alcohol into the oil drain, to wash the solvent out, and clean the crack with more solvent and more rubbing alcohol.

Then JBW and hope for the best, while working under the car the whole time...

Compared to removing the oil pan and doing it on the bench right, or just getting one from the junkyard... :roll:

·
Registered
556 Posts
JB Weld is pretty good stuff, but the possibility of cleaning the area of oil residue sufficiently well enough to permit a reasonable bond is not good. Gravity is not on your side and you only need a slight oil trace to seep down through the crack to mess up the bond! Removal and preferably replacement is the safest route.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Why not remove the pan, really clean the area, epoxy the crack.

A good amount of labor and maybe $10 to $30 in materials.. A used pan is risky..

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have the same problem on mine...i spent 3 straight weeks under the car trying to fix it, trying to drop the pan and cold welding it.

JB Weld did not work for me but perhaps i was doing it wrong...please post your results.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I would think that an epoxy properly applied from the inside of the pan would be effective. From the exterior, it is doubtful, as it is impossible to have the contact surfaces absolutely clean..

·
Registered
553 Posts
since it sounds like u don't want to spend any real money to make sure your car won't blow the engine, then your best cheapest and safest way is to buy a used pan and replace it. You can do this your self and im sure well under $100

Most shops shouldn't charge more then $125 to drop the pan.

and since i didn't see anyone else say it, make sure to clean up your oil screen

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
earthworm said:
I would think that an epoxy properly applied from the inside of the pan would be effective. From the exterior, it is doubtful, as it is impossible to have the contact surfaces absolutely clean..
I'll have to disagree with you for the first time EW! If the epoxy breaks off where would it go????? Yikes :eek: NO WAY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts