SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I live in South Florida and tinting is popular down here. Legal limit is 20%, and that is what I got.. unfortunately at night, it is EXTREMELY difficult to look out the windows. When you move your head from the front windshield to the window on your side to check for traffic... I almost got into a SERIOUS accident this way.

·
Registered
632 Posts
P3 Nav said:
what the heck am I doing wrong......I shrunk them to less than 50Kb.....what else..'
P3, how large is/are your attachments (pixel-wise)? They must be less than 500 pixels wide and 350 pixels high.

Also, be sure to click on 'Add Attachment' after browsing and finding your picture.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I shrunk the pics to 50Kb, but I guess that's not the problem.....I will look at the pixel sizes and adjust....
thanx....

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ordered a loaded 9/3 vector, but it decided to go for a swim last winter along with some volvos :cry:
.....so I got the linear....I think it's a sharp looking color. It changes color, depending on the lighting and how dirty it is... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Besides it's the same color as my aircraft:):)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Dr. No said:
So, folks, who all tints there windows first of all and secondly is that a black or a blue tint you're using and finally at what percentage?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm buying the Glacier Blue 9-3SS and was thinking that the blue tint would sure look sweet :lol: But maybe the black is better :cheesy: and finally I KNOW one thing - I don't want it to black you know -mafia black - so any suggestions???

Thanks for your replies loyal Saabers! :D
I don't want it to black you know -mafia black Is that concerning me :-?? hehehe :cheesy:
mine with 10 % Black....hehehe mafia black on saab :wink:

·
Registered
591 Posts
JNGold said:
I emailed my salesman the window tint scratch thread to show him that it seems Formula One tint doesn't seem to scratch on the 9-3.

I will ask who did the tinting.
FYI. Formula One tint and Llumar tint are both by the same company, CPFilms Inc. You might want to search for Llumar in your area since it's basically the same product. I called Llumar at 1.800.2.LLUMAR (www.llumar.com) and verified that they are indeed the same film/tint type.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
That's it! Llumar is what's on my car. However, claims that it doesn't scratch is just plain bunk! The tinter re-did my car the weekend before last and I already have scratches again. I am going in for my 30 day next week and I am going to ask them to re-do it one more time. At least this last time, the scratches weren't as bad as the original time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Latest info on Tint!
Just had my Vector tinted, 15% ATR (pix to follow-gotta wash her first :) ). Maker of both Llumar and Formula One Window Film, CPFilms Inc. I mentioned to the tint tech about the scratches a few of us are experiencing from this. We found out that there is a metal strip inside the door panel that causes the scratches. This metal strip apparently is for preventing condensation (??) We found this out by testing and opening the door panel. We tested first by installing a 6"x6" formula one premier 35% tint and llumar 35% tint side by side w/o taking the door panel out. Scratch on both films after the 3rd roll up and down. We then put a little pressure on the window by hand from outside and rolled it up and down again; more scratches on both films. We also noticed that the same window (w/o the film area) has a perfect straight line scratch from this metal strip already, approx. 1.5" in length; you might want to check yours out. The tech then proceeded to take the panel out and the metal strip. He placed a strip of felt material, which is a one side sticky, onto the metal strip across the whole length. He took out both scratched 6"x6" formula and llumar and placed another new set, installed the door panels back along with the now metal with felt strip and tested. We rolled the window up and down and with pressure 12x's NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH!

I'm not certain as to why some get scratches and some don't but this is apparently what's causing them. I settled for the ATR 15% because I felt the 35% was too light.

Another thing the tech mentioned to me is if you tint your back top part windshield (first 4 lines just from roof to below brake light) with any film that has metal alloy (see Formula One Premier), you will get interferance/static on both FM and AM stations. We tested this as well. The tech placed a small strip of formula one at the said location and sure enough, static considerably on AM stations, a little bit on FM. It disappeared once he took the film out. You can self test this by placing a piece of metal like a blade on one of the lines while your AM is on. The solution to this is using a non-see through vinyl film at this area. It does not affect visibility at all since it's at the top and you can't tell the difference if you are looking from the outside in. You can see the different coloration though from the inside but it is very, very minimal that you wouldn't even notice it unless it's pointed out to you.

Cost: $245 parts and labor for 5 windows including felt strip on both doors. ATR is warranted for as long as the original purchaser retains ownership of vehicle from scratches, cracking, peeling or demetalizing.

SF Bay Area 9-3 SS owners: If you wish to tint your cars, call Rocky Mountain Window Tint in Livermore, CA. Matt Britton at 925.373.2577 is the owner and you can ask him questions. I was the second 2003 9-3 SAAB he did the last 3 weeks and he said he did not apply the felt strip on the first car but have not heard from him (yet) as far as scratches.

HTH to all wishing to tint their windows!

·
Registered
838 Posts
solid: great info there, thanks a lot. I've been wanting to get my SS tinted but the scratch complaints had me waiting - I'll be sure to explain this to the tint people when I take my car in.

·
Registered
591 Posts
solid155 said:
Latest info on Tint!
Just had my Vector tinted, 15% ATR (pix to follow-gotta wash her first :) ). Maker of both Llumar and Formula One Window Film, CPFilms Inc. I mentioned to the tint tech about the scratches a few of us are experiencing from this. We found out that there is a metal strip inside the door panel that causes the scratches. This metal strip apparently is for preventing condensation (??) We found this out by testing and opening the door panel. We tested first by installing a 6"x6" formula one premier 35% tint and llumar 35% tint side by side w/o taking the door panel out. Scratch on both films after the 3rd roll up and down. We then put a little pressure on the window by hand from outside and rolled it up and down again; more scratches on both films. We also noticed that the same window (w/o the film area) has a perfect straight line scratch from this metal strip already, approx. 1.5" in length; you might want to check yours out. The tech then proceeded to take the panel out and the metal strip. He placed a strip of felt material, which is a one side sticky, onto the metal strip across the whole length. He took out both scratched 6"x6" formula and llumar and placed another new set, installed the door panels back along with the now metal with felt strip and tested. We rolled the window up and down and with pressure 12x's NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH!

I'm not certain as to why some get scratches and some don't but this is apparently what's causing them. I settled for the ATR 15% because I felt the 35% was too light.

Another thing the tech mentioned to me is if you tint your back top part windshield (first 4 lines just from roof to below brake light) with any film that has metal alloy (see Formula One Premier), you will get interferance/static on both FM and AM stations. We tested this as well. The tech placed a small strip of formula one at the said location and sure enough, static considerably on AM stations, a little bit on FM. It disappeared once he took the film out. You can self test this by placing a piece of metal like a blade on one of the lines while your AM is on. The solution to this is using a non-see through vinyl film at this area. It does not affect visibility at all since it's at the top and you can't tell the difference if you are looking from the outside in. You can see the different coloration though from the inside but it is very, very minimal that you wouldn't even notice it unless it's pointed out to you.

Cost: $245 parts and labor for 5 windows including felt strip on both doors. ATR is warranted for as long as the original purchaser retains ownership of vehicle from scratches, cracking, peeling or demetalizing.

SF Bay Area 9-3 SS owners: If you wish to tint your cars, call Rocky Mountain Window Tint in Livermore, CA. Matt Britton at 925.373.2577 is the owner and you can ask him questions. I was the second 2003 9-3 SAAB he did the last 3 weeks and he said he did not apply the felt strip on the first car but have not heard from him (yet) as far as scratches.

HTH to all wishing to tint their windows!
For those of you with tint questions, call the number above for more info on where exactly this strip is located. I'm sure he wouldn't mind telling you. Good luck!!!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts