SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a little busy yesterday and today. Picked up 2 cans of the "NiteShades" Tail light paint. Did all the lenses in the back, and also the front corners... 3 coats front and rear. They are Blllaaaaccckkkk. I had to take them all down a bit with rubbing, then polishing compound. A clearcoat is next.

I also moved the air filter out of the engine compartment and into the wheel well. Taking after a few of the mods I have seen here, I cut a hole and added a vent to the outside of qurter panel. I cut the hole in the inner fender well in the shape of a square, and used Dynamat to seal all the gaps. Its a great mod. About 20 minutes with the dremmel tool. There is definatley a 'seat of the pants feel' inprovement. It also sounds amazing with the turbo really starts to boost. The air filter and silcone coupplers came from the local parts store. I got the extra dynamat and intake tube from the pull-a-part

So here some crappy camera phone pics for now...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love the fish gills that u put on the fender. Good way to get some nice cool air. Hey where abouts atlanta do you live, I'm in Canton.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That looks really cool.

It's like mini-louvers for the side of your car that actually do something!

·
Registered
491 Posts
sweet look! better change that avatar!!

I was thinking about doing my lights too using a transparent model paint like ironjoe used for his lights, but I would be using black... think it would be the same as niteshades?

and on a final note, how does one align the outter (or inner?) section of the rear light, all the 900 hatches i have seen have at least 1 crooked one.

thanks
-Alex

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
With the fish gills facing the way you have them, won't that just give you a negative air affect?

With the lights, can you still see them will in the day light?

·
Registered
350 Posts
spg1 said:
With the fish gills facing the way you have them, won't that just give you a negative air affect?

I've never seen them face any other direction

·
Registered
181 Posts
spg1 said:
You won't get a ram air effect through the louvres but there will be a low pressure area created on the outside so cool air will be able to pass from the front of the car over the air filter better. It's surprising how many places under the bonnet have stagnant air flow when the car is in motion.

I had toyed with the idea of a NACA duct in the same location

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
IronJoe said:
For that ram-air effect...

Wow, I don't know if I would take out that much metal in that area. A hole seems better...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spg1 said:

Well considering its a turbo car, im pretty sure the turbo will ram more air in than the the car even at high speed. I figured as long as it had a steady source of cool air to draw from, it was fine. I actually have an identical vent, with the louvers facing the other way to take in air. I was a little worried about rain water and debris getting in while driving swiftly

As for the lights, the second pic is with the headlights on, not stepping on the brake. That was taken in the middle of the day. So they are ok.... I have to take the turn signals down a good bit b/c they were hard to see during the day. Everything looks great at night.

And to the other post about aligning the lights.. I cant tell you, the other side I didnt take a picture of is off. I think the trunk might be a little crooked.

Thanks.. I really like it. Next is maintence stuff, brake master... CV axles-> Can I do my self? and other random stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
85spgATL said:
Was a little busy yesterday and today. Picked up 2 cans of the "NiteShades" Tail light paint. Did all the lenses in the back, and also the front corners... 3 coats front and rear. They are Blllaaaaccckkkk. I had to take them all down a bit with rubbing, then polishing compound. A clearcoat is next.
Where did you pick up the can of NiteShades? could it be found locally or did you have to order it?

Is that stuff sprayed on the outside of the inside of the lens?

Finally, what are you planning to use for the final clear coat?
would love to see pictures of the finished product.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stuff is VHT Nite Shades. You can google it. I got mine from a local perfromance shop, Barnett Performance. $8.99 a can. 2 cans was more than enough to do all the lights.

As for the clear, I have heard a clear accrylic aerosol works fine.

You spray on the outside.

Heres a faq I found through google. http://www.cacustomcoatings.com/vhtnishfaq.html

I really like the way they look. Totally fills out the lines of the car from the side and corners.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Question on the cold air intake, Where did you move the apc too???? and what did you use to cut into the body and where the apc use to be?? Somethign tells me a plasma cutter or an oxy-acetelyn torch is a lil bit over kill :lol:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
On mine I used a 4 inch hole saw. Takes a lot longer than cutting a square out, but a much better solution structurally IMO.

Also I moved my APC to the top of the inner fender. A bit of trimming on the plastic APC box but I didn't mind, I have several :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hole saw would deffinetly be what i would use. I don't think it will take that long though. I have a carbide toothed hole saw down at my shop ill just borrow for a bit when i get a chance to start work on it. Im waiting to get all the materials i need to put the intercooler in and put on an exhaust. That way so when i bring my car to my machine shop i can just attack it all at once. Get all the fabricating welding done all at once so i don't have to hang around the shop to long and get yelled at by my supervisor :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can someone give an exact list of parts needed for the intake mod? Part numbers would be excellent. I want to do this but I only want to make one trip to the parts store to get everything I need since its a long drive to get there.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.