SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stop me before I blow it up - does this look right to you guys?
I've timed it twice before (don't ask) and was fine, but never took pictures, and this time I'm more paranoid for some reason.
I do not have excessive slack on the chain, the tensioner is still within limits.
Here's how I got this far:
1. Set the crank pulley to TDC (checked with screwdriver in spark plug #1, the mark is good)
2. Put the exhaust sprocket on with no slack on the chain between it and the crank, fingertight sprocket bolt
3. Put the intake sprocket on with 15 links between the sprocket marks, fingertight sprocket bolt
4. Install chain tensioner
5. Rotate crank twice to put the engine through a full cycle
6. Make sure everything is still aligned

·
Registered
895 Posts
Looks good to me, the quick write up is spot on, so many forget to get rid of the slack on the exhaust side first and end up with a sag between the sprockets.pour a little oil on the cams before putting back the cover.If it's been sitting awhile or you pulled the head pull the fuel pump fuse and let the motor turn over a few times before firing it up pumping the oil throughout. It WILL make ticking noises until the lifters fill with oil again.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
The last picture looks like there are 16 pins between the sprockets. This is one case where having the chain with the painted links would make it much more visible and easier to set the timing... Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts