SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posting pics in a few minutes. does anyone know how to get this pin un stuck? we took out all the bolts off the timing cover (engine is still in car)

the whole cover is loose except the bottom left corner where there is a guide pin that is all rusty. we tried heating it, and bangin on it, but dont want to break the cover

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I do not know if this is possible, but try vibrations against the pin and wedging the cover out a little using wood (oak, at 1 degree or so), an air hammer and 24 hours of PB Blaster or the equivalent. Keep the fasteners is but loose...She will come in time.
Good luck :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If I recall, I had to make sure I pulled the cover off 100% parallel to the engine or that pin held tight. I had some soft molded-plastic tools from when I did my hardwood floors and they were a huge help. They would mar or scratch the cover so I could hammer on them all day. DO NOT USE METAL TO PRY as there is no gasket used on this cover! You will reassemble using Anerobic Sealer and it needs perfect mating surfaces to work.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we got it off!! just had to wiggle.

but now, we cant get the cover clear of the engine bay because the head is off the engine, and dont have anything to put our bottle jack against.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
we got it off!! just had to wiggle.

but now, we cant get the cover clear of the engine bay because the head is off the engine, and dont have anything to put our bottle jack against.

any suggestions?
Support the engine and take the two motor mounts off. Then you can push it over rather easily.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we said screw it, cut the balance chain, and changed our broken timing chain guide (tensioner side) with the timing cover just kind of, half way off.

a pain but its on. now we can go back to re-assembling.

just have to make sure we put the right amount of sealer on.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
we said screw it, cut the balance chain, and changed our broken timing chain guide (tensioner side) with the timing cover just kind of, half way off.

a pain but its on. now we can go back to re-assembling.

just have to make sure we put the right amount of sealer on.
Make sure you got all of the mating surfaces 100% clean before you apply the new sealant. If you rush and don't do this correctly you'll have oil leaking and have to go back in...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts