·
Registered
9,474 Posts
We are not laughing at you, we are laughing with you. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I got another silly question. I almost got everything all put back together and I want to start the car up and make sure there’s no leaks but I took off the cat-back exhaust and am currently awaiting a custom one so I’m wondering is it okay to run the car with just the cat? (On this car the cat is the down pipe) I’m thinking yes but I thought I’d check just to be safe lol

·
Super Moderator
20,352 Posts
Sure. Enjoy! lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
On the subject of the timing cover and stuff behind it, I have an oil leak that I believe is coming from the timing cover gasket and/or crank pulley seal. Based on a recommendation I also purchased a balance chain tensioner in case mine has lost its tensioning capability, which I gather is rather common. Can I replace the timing cover gasket and the tensioner without messing up the timing? I do not have the workspace, tools, cam locks, or know-how to adjust timing so is this something I'd be better off taking my parts to a shop and having them do it for me? When I replaced the valve cover gasket a couple months ago I took a look into the timing/balance chain area and didn't see any obviously broken parts of the guides, but I could only see so much from that angle. Should I go ahead and purchase a set of the guides as well if I end up taking it to an indie shop? Closest actual Saab mechanic is 3 hours away...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yup you should be able to pull the cover and change the guide and the tensioner without affecting the timing. I just did it myself cause I dropped a bolt down into the cover while changing my water pump so I had to pull the cover then I noticed the broken guide, follow the video “Hus.Sho” shared on the first page of the thread it shows how to remove the cover step by step and it’s very detailed. You don’t have to line up the crank pulley if your not touching the timing just pull it off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I finally got everything together and started the car up and it actually wasn’t too loud, sounded like a turbo diesel though 😂 One issue. I couldn't manage to close the petcock on my radiator. I turned it counter clockwise a little bit to open it but now I try turning it clock wise and it just keeps spinning and doesn’t close. I have a hose clamped onto it with a bolt and a clamp on the other end of the hose so i was able to run the car and it didn’t leak but I want to get that pet cock closed the right way. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Super Moderator
20,352 Posts
Replace petcock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Replace petcock.
Do I just yank on it to remove it? I tried to turn it counter clockwise to but it seemed like it was just spinning. And do you know the thread size? I looked on Napa and rockauto and I don’t see a petcock for a Saab but they have universal ones sold by size

·
Super Moderator
20,352 Posts
There are lines on the radiator and petcock that line up then you just pull it out.
NAPA Part#: 605-1372
Dorman Part # 61134

Reactions: Chris7420

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yup you should be able to pull the cover and change the guide and the tensioner without affecting the timing. I just did it myself cause I dropped a bolt down into the cover while changing my water pump so I had to pull the cover then I noticed the broken guide, follow the video “Hus.Sho” shared on the first page of the thread it shows how to remove the cover step by step and it’s very detailed. You don’t have to line up the crank pulley if your not touching the timing just pull it off.
Great--a project for next week since the weather's supposed to be nicer and hopefully there will be less pollen floating blowing around. Wonder what tree pollen in the oil does to an internal combustion engine... :unsure:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Couple quick questions regarding the timing cover removal/replacement process... The WIS says to use the 8396210 holding tool to hold the crankshaft pulley while undoing/re-torquing the crankshaft pulley bolt. Is there a universal substitute for that particular tool? Or does anyone here know where I can score such a thing? I've scoured the internet and can find nothing without buying a whole set with the holder and camshaft holders that apparently don't fit the B207R engine in my 2005 9-3 Arc. And those sets are only available through a couple places in Europe for $$$ and who knows how long shipping would take... I do not have an impact wrench so I doubt I can remove or replace the bolt without keeping the crankshaft from turning somehow.
Also, the WIS says to use a 8396202 fitting tool to seat the new crankshaft pulley seal; can't find that anywhere either. Is it necessary or will a universal seal press work? Or do I even need a press to install that seal?
Lastly, I assume I should use a new woodruff key when replacing the crankshaft pulley, or can I reuse the original?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Couple quick questions regarding the timing cover removal/replacement process... The WIS says to use the 8396210 holding tool to hold the crankshaft pulley while undoing/re-torquing the crankshaft pulley bolt. Is there a universal substitute for that particular tool? Or does anyone here know where I can score such a thing? I've scoured the internet and can find nothing without buying a whole set with the holder and camshaft holders that apparently don't fit the B207R engine in my 2005 9-3 Arc. And those sets are only available through a couple places in Europe for $$$ and who knows how long shipping would take... I do not have an impact wrench so I doubt I can remove or replace the bolt without keeping the crankshaft from turning somehow.
Also, the WIS says to use a 8396202 fitting tool to seat the new crankshaft pulley seal; can't find that anywhere either. Is it necessary or will a universal seal press work? Or do I even need a press to install that seal?
Lastly, I assume I should use a new woodruff key when replacing the crankshaft pulley, or can I reuse the original?
When I did mine I just took it off and put it back on with an impact. But I remember back in the day I did one and I didn’t have an impact so I got a buddy to hold the pulley with a strap wrench while I loosened/tightened it, or if you don’t have a helper you could try putting a ratchet strap through the pulley then around the frame somewhere to hold it. I’ve also heard you can jam a screw driver in the flywheel but I’ve never personally tried that one. I reused the woodruff key. You don’t need the special seal press to install the new seal a universal one should work or you can even just use a socket or something roughly the same size as the seal and hammer it in, lubricate the new seal with petroleum jelly

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I did mine I just took it off and put it back on with an impact. But I remember back in the day I did one and I didn’t have an impact so I got a buddy to hold the pulley with a strap wrench while I loosened/tightened it, or if you don’t have a helper you could try putting a ratchet strap through the pulley then around the frame somewhere to hold it. I’ve also heard you can jam a screw driver in the flywheel but I’ve never personally tried that one. I reused the woodruff key. You don’t need the special seal press to install the new seal a universal one should work or you can even just use a socket or something roughly the same size as the seal and hammer it in, lubricate the new seal with petroleum jelly
Thanks. I'll see what I can do with what I've got, tool-wise. Not sure I want to try the screwdriver/flywheel method--wouldn't even know where to try to access the flywheel without generating even more work. With my luck I'd end up doing more damage than good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks. I'll see what I can do with what I've got, tool-wise. Not sure I want to try the screwdriver/flywheel method--wouldn't even know where to try to access the flywheel without generating even more work. With my luck I'd end up doing more damage than good.
Yeah that method seems kinda sketchy that’s why I’ve never tried it. If you have a manual transmission you could get a helper and have them put it in gear and hold the brakes while you loosen/tighten the bolt that may work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm...that might work--I do have the manual tranny. It'll give my wife some amusement watching me work. LOL

21 - 36 of 36 Posts