SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel bad for posting again cause I’ve been spamming this forum lately. So I’m in the middle of replacing the water pump on my 03 9-3 2.0t and when I was removing the bolts that hold the sprocket to the water pump I dropped one inside the timing cover, I tried fishing it out with 3 different magnets with no luck so I guess I have to remove the timing cover to get it out, it looks like I just need to remove the crank shaft pulley and the belt tensioner/idler then remove all the bolts holding the cover on but it seem like things being way harder then they look are starting to be a trend with this car lol. It looks like I possibly need to remove the engine mount too but I can’t tell. Can anyone confirm? Or can anybody link a “how to” on removing the timing cover on these engines? I searched but had no luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are some excellent videos on YouTube that should help. If you can’t find one for the water pump look up a video for the timing chain. Different maintenance but same process for getting that cover off. You’ll need to remove the engine mount and jack up the engine about an inch to be able to remove everything.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are some excellent videos on YouTube that should help. If you can’t find one for the water pump look up a video for the timing chain. Different maintenance but same process for getting that cover off. You’ll need to remove the engine mount and jack up the engine about an inch to be able to remove everything.
Yeah I already found a good thread/videos on changing the water pump and was following that but the method I was using didn’t involve removing the timing cover I used a tool to hold the sprocket in place and was going to swap the pumps but I dropped one of the sprocket bolts inside the cover so now I think I have to pull it, I posted a picture showing the tool and where I dropped the bolt into, in that photo they’ve got the engine removed from the car though with the engine in the car the fender is a couple inches away from that timing cover so not a lot of room to work with. I wonder if I loosen the bolts on the cover and pop it open a lil bit maybe the bolt will come falling out the bottom lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
View attachment 280057
Yeah I already found a good thread/videos on changing the water pump and was following that but the method I was using didn’t involve removing the timing cover I used a tool to hold the sprocket in place and was going to swap the pumps but I dropped one of the sprocket bolts inside the cover so now I think I have to pull it, I posted a picture showing the tool and where I dropped the bolt into, in that photo they’ve got the engine removed from the car though with the engine in the car the fender is a couple inches away from that timing cover so not a lot of room to work with. I wonder if I loosen the bolts on the cover and pop it open a lil bit maybe the bolt will come falling out the bottom lol
I hope so, but there is also a good chance the bolt is in your sump now. Not to be a downer, just something to be prepared for.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a clear path for the bolt to fall into the sump, but if it did, removing the sump is easier than removing the timing cover.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a clear path for the bolt to fall into the sump, but if it did, removing the sump is easier than removing the timing cover.
You’re definitely right. Looking back through my photos I see the balance shaft chain tensioner blocks the way when the cover is on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A friend is going to lend a snake camera and I’m going to try and locate the bolt before I take anything else apart. I think it’s still under the timing cover maybe I can even fish it out with a better magnet lol. I heard it clunk after I dropped it and it didn’t sound very deep unless it bounced and kept going.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I finally got some spare time and decided to just pull the timing cover and found the bolt as soon as I pulled the cover off that was no issue but I noticed it looks like the plastic chain guides are broken in a couple places. I don’t see the broken pieces anywhere.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yaa, common, replace the tensioner and the guide , make sure the crank is timed and double check the balance shafts positions

·
Super Moderator
20,387 Posts
They're in the oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
20,387 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Anyone on here change a water pump on one of these before? I need some advice I can’t get this last bolt out let alone even get my fingers on it, it doesn’t seem like there’s any room to fit a tool back there. Can anyone shed some light on how to get it out? Pictures below showing where the bolts goes on the new pump and a picture showing where I’m trying to to get at it, it looks a little different cause I took the cover off the pump on the car but that’s the same corner of the pump where the bolt goes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figured it out. I feel so dumb I was looking on the wrong side. Please don’t be too hard on me it was a long day 🤣

1 - 20 of 36 Posts