SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few stripped timing cover bolts and I'm wondering if there is any reason that the torx T40 bolts cannot be replaced with standard stainless hex head bolts. Is there any clearance issues with belts or something? I don;t think there are torque issues as they're not tightened down that extreme.

Also need to know the length, pretty sure they are M8 * 1.25 pitch but not sure how long they should be.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
They do appear to be M8x1.25. They're 45mm, all thread. I would be concerned about using non-button-head bolts... I would think there is a concern about belt interference.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Didn't they use hex head bolts on the timing cover of the 9000? I would think that that car had the belt running just as close to the timing cover as the 900, 9-3, and 9-5. As long as there's enough room in the recesses of the timing cover to fit a socket over the bolt's hex head, I'd think that it would be fine. Another thing is if you're only replacing a couple, you could put them in places that aren't anywhere near the belt. If you want to keep it original, I can check my bucket of Saab bolts and see if I have some spare timing cover bolts.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the offer. I dug through my ever growing bucket of spares and found a few replacements, so I'll reinstall the Torx. The belt is definitely close and I don't want to order stainless hex heads and find the head is thicker than the Torx. Maybe I'll be lucky and will not have to pull the timing cover ever again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts