SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, should the timing chain be perfectly silent? as i am sure i can here something, or maybe i am just paranoid from reading too much about chain problems:roll:
The car only has 63k and Saab history so i hope not!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I like the idea of measuring the tensioner - many threads on this - search PMI ,SlaabforLife ,and the timing chain

Go for a second, even third opinion, using man's hearing in these cases is risky - in both directions.
Assure that the serpentine belt pulleys are in good shape.
Maybe it is better to disengage them(for 10 to 15 seconds) when listening to the chain..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Every single Saab mechanic I have talked to in my area has never dealt with a single timing chain problem UNLESS it was related to sludge or lubrication problems. While timing chains do stretch, they rarely wear to the point of where they need replacing. If you look closely at most of the cases of timing chain problems on this board, the people who are affected live either in areas of really cold climates or drive short distances while not fully warming up their engine. There are many factors involved such as oil quality, temperature, and maintenance, but the common factor in all these cases are that these Saabs spend their lives in states where it gets really cold. I personally have 172,000 miles on my 2.0 Turbo and the chain is silent. I am sure that unless you suspect sludge or other lubrication problems, your chain should be fine at 63K.

·
Registered
215 Posts
P.S.
I also noticed that there are many cases of the 2.3 L engine with timing sprocket and chain problems. I asked my mechanic about this and he said that while the engines share similar design characteristics, they have different internals. He theorized that the sprockets in the turbo engines are more beefy and the fact that the factory required semi-synthetic oil from the start, we dont see many problems with the timing chains/sprockets on the turbo models compared to the N/A engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts