SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil yesterday with Mobil 1 15w50 Syn, and driving to work today noticed a ticking\tapping noise coming from the passenger side area... Its very audible inside the cabin but cant hear it that much listening in by the engine bay, im hoping its not the timing chain going.... But u also replaced my valve cover and didnt notice any slack on the timing chain..

Any idea what im looking at?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it doesnt lessen as engine reaches operating temperature.
lifter maybe - 15-50 may be a bit thick for em,

does the noise lessen as the engine warms?

·
Registered
141 Posts
No it doesnt lessen as engine reaches operating temperature.
Oh, um....

I know you are not an idiot, I've read your past posts but I find it too coincidental after cover is popped you have a noise. Missing a set of pliers by any chance? :cheesy: (I found a small driver in 396 valve cover once, oooh so that's where I put it)

Back to the 15-50 - have you run that before? Years past I used to run that during the summer on the old v-8's but it was too thick, even for those monsters at below 40F or so. Damn things sounded like a Chinese knitting machine.

How many miles she got? I thought the chains were all but bulletproof to 150k+. Can you see tensioner marks? Any room left?

I refuse to believe it your chain - power of positive thinking.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No tools have been left anywhere in the engine or bay as far as i know., Ive never ran 15-50, couldnt find my usual 0w40 at 3 auto parts stores sp jus grabbed the 15-50.. And i strongly doubt its my chain because i also replaced valve cover and didnt see any signs of a bad timing chain or any wear.
Oh, um....

I know you are not an idiot, I've read your past posts but I find it too coincidental after cover is popped you have a noise. Missing a set of pliers by any chance? :cheesy: (I found a small driver in 396 valve cover once, oooh so that's where I put it)

Back to the 15-50 - have you run that before? Years past I used to run that during the summer on the old v-8's but it was too thick, even for those monsters at below 40F or so. Damn things sounded like a Chinese knitting machine.

How many miles she got? I thought the chains were all but bulletproof to 150k+. Can you see tensioner marks? Any room left?

I refuse to believe it your chain - power of positive thinking.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Find your original 0W40 and change the oil. Whenever something screwy happens with my car after I've fixed it, I go back and put everything back the way it was and methodically go through all the steps to isolate the problem. Short of having dropped something in the engine (which you have already ruled out) I wouldn't be surprised if the heavier weight oil was affecting your engine in an unaccustomed way.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya thats what im going to do, thanks
Find your original 0W40 and change the oil. Whenever something screwy happens with my car after I've fixed it, I go back and put everything back the way it was and methodically go through all the steps to isolate the problem. Short of having dropped something in the engine (which you have already ruled out) I wouldn't be surprised if the heavier weight oil was affecting your engine in an unaccustomed way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm going to say its the oil. 15w50 weight is too thick for winter in Chicago. That's the kind of weight we run in Alabama summers.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably shouldve researched before i picked the 15-50... My stupid mistake.
I'm going to say its the oil. 15w50 weight is too thick for winter in Chicago. That's the kind of weight we run in Alabama summers.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
You still got that other (duplicate) post with the same name active? You've got answers from everybody now and posters are mostly telling you the exact same thing, lol.

Getting kind of annoyingly repetitive here. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya i accidentally posted 2 threads but ya i guess i got my answer already
You still got that other (duplicate) post with the same name active? You've got answers from everybody now and posters are mostly telling you the exact same thing, lol.

Getting kind of annoyingly repetitive here. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put in some 0w40 and no more ticking... Thanks for everyones help!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, definitely wont make that mistake again.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
But hey, man, if you are ever serious about taking that beast of yours to the limit and doing some real hard driving, that 15W-50 is racing oil.

That stuff will hold up to some serious engine abuse (high temps and high RPM's) so you weren't too far off in selecting it by way of you having a turbo motor. Only problem is it's winter. No big deal and no real harm done. And now we are all the wiser. ;)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohh rele, good to know, i learn more and more on here everyday.
But hey, man, if you are ever serious about taking that beast of yours to the limit and doing some real hard driving, that 15W-50 is racing oil.

That stuff will hold up to some serious engine abuse (high temps and high RPM's) so you weren't too far off in selecting it by way of you having a turbo motor. Only problem is it's winter. No big deal and no real harm done. And now we are all the wiser. ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I also get that Ticking problem and I live out here in California. I don't recall for certain what oil they put in when I take the car to get an oil change, but any other potential causes?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It could be a worn chain. If you pull the chain tensioner, you can measure how far it's extended and compare that to the maximum allowable distance. It's something like 11 or 12 mm... Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts