SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday driving on the highway I heard a funny noise from the engine which was followed by the engine stuttering. I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off as soon as I could. My first assumption was the timing chain. The car just hit 130,000 miles and over the past couple of weeks what I thought was chain slap was getting louder in the engine bay (funny thing is that I was going to bring it in today to get checked out). This morning I took the valve cover/cylinder head cover off and found that the part of the timing chain which is visible appears to be intact and is taught. Is it necessary to take the timing cover off to see whether the chain is actually broken?? Is it possible that I was just experiencing a misfire condition?? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I take her to the local saab guy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the check engine light was flashing as this was happening, but couldn't get a read at the time. I also noticed over the past week or so that while driving then coming to a stop at a red light or something, the revs would drop very low (around 500) for a couple of seconds than jump back up. Any thoughts?... thanks in advance.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Take it to a Competent Saab Mech.. yr timing chain is likely still intact if the thing is tight between the cam gears, besides if it did fail , the motor would not start.
There could be one or more of many possible causes for the problem that finally got yer attention :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If you've had a misfire then the mixture will have been wrong and that could trigger the check engine light as an O2 fault. Had just this on an LPG converted car of ours where it coughed once on starting and that tripped the engine light. Nicely on the car is a diag connector even with the shorting pin and built in LED, and button. Just had to pull the code and it came back with just that, mixture fault and O2.

I cleared the codes and nothing more came of it, didn't re-occur and no change in vehicle engine running.

David.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it would be wise to attempt to start the engine with the information I've given, because I'm taking her to the shop tomorrow anyway and I'm hoping to save some money on towing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My worst fears have been confirmed. From what I understand from the scandinavian mechanic who has broken english, the crankshaft rod connector has snapped. The only solution is to put in a new engine. Anyone ever have this happen to their saab, and does this absolutely warrant a replacement engine?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm also considering swapping out my auto trans to a manual. What other parts would I need other than the transmission itself?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Crankshaft rod connector? Does he mean broken conrod (connecting rod) as in crank to piston?

I suspect he's talking about something else but it doesn't translate well?

David.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts