SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently getting ready to do a bit of maintenance on my car. I replaced a bunch of parts a year ago. A new oil pan (debris accumulator type), brakes, pcv update, hoses, vacuum lines, fuel filter, thermostat, etc. (I know I'm forgetting a few things)

The engine runs fine and I change the oil every 3000 miles (getting closer to 5 this time, due to having almost 3 feet of snow outside) with full synthetic and an oversized M1 filter. I had a new engine put into the car under lemon law warranty from the dealership. That engine had about 65k when they put it in. The oil has been changed regularly since then. The new pan was installed at around 75k.

I have not checked the tensioner for the timing chain, I plan to do that soon.

What are the odds of needing a new timing chain?

Also, should I replace and re-torque my head bolts?

118k on the car, 90k on the engine.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a timing chain for a long time. Sludge is more of an issue than the chain. They can last to 300k+ with proper oil changes, which it sounds like you're doing. No need to worry.

As for the head bolts, only do it if you're positive you know what you're doing, otherwise things can go very wrong very fast. There's a few people here that can speak with much more authority on this issue than myself. I'm sure they'll chime in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

Judging by the things that I've read, I'm relatively confidant that I can change the head bolts myself. With that said, there might be something that I'm not realizing.

I have a brand new torque wrench and a new mechanics set. All of my tools are in order.

It just seems kind of tedious, not really difficult.

I'm hoping that someone will let me know if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you don't need to remove the head don't bother changing the bolts. They can be re-torqued down to spec and don't need to be replaced until you change the head gasket/remove the head. Lots of useful information here about re-torquing/head gasket woes/ect

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
SaabHat93
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing