SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Saab 900 is making a strange noise that increases and decreases with acceleration. It sounds similar to a pulley going but it is coming from inside the engine.

I assume it is something todo with the timing chain and have read similar things on here. The question is how much would it be for a timing chain, sprocket, balance chain etc.. overhaul? :confused:

If I am way of with my diagnosis please let me know...thanks.:)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Several members have changed the chain (upper - timing) via the master link. Evidently this is not that hard to do, but one must be careful..

I think that if my 900S had over 200K miles , I would change the balance shaft chain as well; but this is an engine out task...
Belts are good for 40 to 80K
Chains , good for 80 to 160 K
Hard to say how accurate those statements are ...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
A complete job would include replacing both chains, all plastic chain guides, the balance chain tensioner, and any worn sprockets. This requires pulling the engine out, removing the valve cover, timing cover, and oil pan, and usually includes putting several parts through a chemical wash to remove oil deposits. Between $1300 and $2k in the US, depending on what parts are replaced.

A simpler approach is to remove the timing chain tensioner to measure the tensioner extension and estimate the chain slack, and the valve cover to inspect the timing chain and the sprockets. There is no easy access to replace the balance chain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I took the serp belt off and cranked the engine and the noise had vanished. Narrowed it down to the middle tension pulley which I replaced. I also replaced the idler pulley whilst I had the belt off. 20 mins and it was done. It really sounded like it was coming from inside the engine block, but I guess it doesn't take much for the vibrations from the dead pulley to travel.

:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts