SaabCentral Forums banner

timing chain 2.3 griffin turbo

996 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  V.J.S 
#1 · (Edited)
Being quoted £1800 to £2300 from two saab dealerships to change said timing chain and extras ie sprockets and tensioners.any body out there near surrey and middlesex point me to a cheaper alternative.
many thanks

#4 ·
I can tell you now that if they use "Saab" parts then the parts cost alone is nearly £1000.

Sorry Saab but take it to an indy and hand them the parts from your favourite parts supplier. Timing chain kit is about £135 and the balance shaft kit is about the same (depending on year).

Obviously labour will be on top but also should be cheaper than the franchised garage.

David.

#5 ·
Hey, I got my chain kit from GSF, only 85+vat. Kit had timing chain, 2x top sprockets, bottom crank sprocket, front, rear and top chain guides, crank oil seal. And I got a private mech to change it over for 300 quid. Oh yeah, he also, changed me front discs, front pads, rear pads, f+r SS braided hoses, removed the stupid towbar+electrics. All for 300 quid.

#8 ·
Well, mine wasn't really a rattley chain as such, it just had a sort of metally/plasticy grating sound that came on only AFTER I got home from buying the car. The mech had a gander, took out the tensioner, and found it had reached its limit, but also found the top sprockets teeth too be slightly worn.

#13 ·
Hi david what I was trying to say £700 all in was for genuine saab replacement parts ,these people are only charging £40 per hour, where as saab dealerships are charging £85 to £95 per hour. and they would appear to get there parts from exactly the same supplier as the little indy that I am going to .
regards
Julien

#14 ·
£700 is still expensive then, you should be able to get it nearer half that for the chain kits. It might be that their price also includes things like oil seals, gaskets, flange sealant and antifreeze etc in which case that's not so bad. If you're going to an indy though, you can surely specify which parts you want?

Don't know which car you've got but an example:-

Timing chain kit £134
Balance shaft kit £165

If you've got the pre 94 model then the balance kit is much more expensive so cheaper option is to just remove the existing chain and not replace anything. Works the same. ;)

Here's my (expensive) parts list, there are some other sundry bits in there but all the timing bits are there too.

Timing parts

#15 ·
Hi Dave I asked the guy to do and replace all bits and pieces related to this part of the engine. that is all the chains. sprockets, guides, and the pulley belt for the alternator, acc unit ect! Dave your right £300 for all the bits how long would it take,4 maybe 5 hours. I dont know could be more.
Lets say another £300 for labour. plus other incidentals. My car is a 1996 fpt griffin as I said before, compared to the dealerships the price is less than half.
and the people came across well recommended from several others who had there cars serviced and repaired and they explained the basic scenario and the worst
I chose to have everything done for peace of mind. nice to talk to you again

Regards.
Julien

#16 ·
Sorry, just noticed the "all in" :) My brain batteries are low :)

Yes that's a good price. They're doing well to do it in that time I think but then again, they should do it enough times to do it quickly enough. You might want them to change the couple of pulleys for the belt at this point, they'll have them off anyway and a pair new are only about £30. More peace of mind.

David.

#17 ·
:eek:For eighteenhundred quid you can fly you and your Saab to Finland, and I promise to change the chain and the sprockets(if necesssary) during one day, and charge you 100€ (wots that, about 70 quid?) for labor. For replacement vehicle, you can choose -85 single carb. 900 or -92 2.3T 9000 for the day of sightseeing (sorry, no reindeers or polar-bears in southern Finland):suprised; The price quoted to you by UK-SAAB is legalised robbery, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.