SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've bought my saab about 2 months ago, I had an issue with it at the beginning which was one of the hoses (the T split hose) has snapped causing the engine to stall at idle and blowing some smoke at start. The turbo has been changed by previous owner but as far as I know failing turbo is a start of a sludge problem. After few weeks I started to hear timing chain noise so I decided not to take any chances and took it to the mechanic. My mechanic took the engine out, replaced timing and balancing chain with all the gears and sprockets cleaned the engine, dropped the sump, cleaned it (he said it was quite a lot of gunk there) put everything back together, new oil and filter, and now i cant hear any of the timing sound.
When I went to pick it up from the garage he started the engine and there was some small amount of white smoke coming out from the oil filler neck, he said its normal after such a big job and will disappear soon. When I got home and opened the bonnet the smoke wasn't there anymore so not sure if there's nothing to be worry about. Car still puffs some smoke at the cold start but theres no drop in performance or anything. I've not had funds to replace all of the PCV while timing was done so I'm going to do it on Thursday.
I have just ordered latest upgrade kit and my question is:
Will all this stop:
Smoking, sludging, give me trouble free driving for many miles (driving to Germany, 1100 miles) in July, and reduce steering wheel vibration on idle?
I also ordered brake pads and droplinks so the car can be TIP TOP before July :D
Is there anything else you would advise for a peace of mind or should I just pray that my car is not going to break down somewhere in Belgium? :D
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was £150 for the parts and £400 for the labour.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts