SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a funny engine feeling at idle, kinda feels like little ticks (little funny spots with extra vibration). Well I checked my data from the Carchip, and its interesting, baseline idle rpm sits at 880 rpm, but looking at one graph their were some spots where it went up to 920 on its own (no cooling fans turning on, no AC running). During the same time frame my timing advance bounces between 9.5 degrees and 11 degrees. Should the timing advance be moving around at idle?
A graph (black rpm, red timing advance):

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its funny that after a while the rpm's settle down while the timing advance keeps bouncing a few more times.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotcha on that PMI.

In an attempt to stabilize this stuff yesterday I did some work:
-Reglued the metal nipple back to the throttle body that connects to the AIC
-Glued a crack in the evap line that runs to throttle body
-Glued the metal nipple back to the coolant tank
-Cleaned AIC
-Cleaned TB
-Figured out how to get the serpentine belt off

But my so-thought prized project was the air intake. Eventually I will enlarge, but to study the available space I attached the end of a funnel to the air intake. Unfortunately I went from about 6.5 grams/second of air going by the AMM down to 6 g/s. I guess that funneling idea isn't going to fly. Guess I'll have to chop the box up.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PMI said:
What did you use to reglue the nipple seals? Looks like epoxy to me, but I am not really sure what it is.
I used Devcon High Strength 5 Minute Epoxy. In my absentmindedness I didn't take note of the temp. range of it (-40F to 200F). I think the TB stays below 200F, I'll just monitor it carefully. Holding well thus far (over 200 miles on it already now). One thing I noted with the original epoxy was that none of the residue of the epoxy stayed on the throttle body portion.

One thing I found interesting about the evap purge lines was that, at least on mine, their were short (1.5"-2") length of pipe at the connecting points between the TB, purge valve out and purge valve in. I wonder why it was found to be necessary to add these sacrificial pieces. The main portions of the line appear to be of the same material (and theirs plenty of length to them that I have them looped). Another Saab mystery I guess.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The carchip graphs are done by the carchip software. Then you have the option of copying it, so did that and put it in MS Paint, then just overlayed the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.