SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did this and wanted to make a post for others in the future who have to do it. In reality, this is a pretty simple job which should only take a few minutes. It took me a couple hours because there are a few tricks.

1. beck/arnley part 0930652 from rock auto.com is manually adjusting and fit my 1995 900SE (aprox $40 after ship.)
2. REMOVE THE AIR VENTS UNDER THE DASH (this also means the cabin fuse box) - there's only a couple of bolts, so its super easy. This is the only way to see the pedal where the cable attaches. Also, its where your coat hanger will run through, so just do it.
3. go here: http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/200..._Clutch_Conversion/?i=20060122a4.Fuse_box.jpg
4. So if you're researching this, you prob heard about this 'spring' which holds the cable in place at the pedal. Well its not really a spring, in a traditional, coiled, 'slinky' kind of sense. As you can see in the pics, its more of clip.
5. Just use pliers to straighten out a hanger, and make a little hook at the end of it. Feed the hanger through the bottom space of the steering wheel, through the clutch pedal's innards, and hook to the metal clip. The clip is released by pulling on it. I kept mine released by tying the other end of the hanger to the steering wheel. This made installation of the new cable very easy.
6. Key to easy sucess: put some sort of spanner between the floorboard and the pedal of the clutch. This is because when you go to pull on your hanger, the pedal itself will depress slightly, making it difficult/impossible to get the cable unhooked, even though the 'spring' is released (i think this is the cause of most of the difficulty experienced on here by others.
7. Remove the cable by pulling it out towards the front of the car. Its a tight squeeze, but going the other way is certainly impossible. Figuring this out on own's own is frustrating and time consuming.
8. Remove small children from the area. Use of profane language seemed to be benifitial, if not required

Side note: to pry the clutch arm enough to attach the cable requires battery removal. You need to have the code to your stereo handy if you want to listen to music ever again.

If you're reading this then you prob need some good luck, so good luck,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
18,908 Posts
Nice work Brian, I've been dreading replacing my cable one day.
If it has over 45K miles, do it now. It'ss not at all difficult ... except for hooking up that end at the pedal. As noted, takes a while and you will do try 30 times before you get it hooked up. Clear small children from the area or give them ear plugs.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I snapped my clutch cable last night on the way home from work in peak hour traffic.

That sucked :(.

I got a new cable sitting in the garage. Let's see how it goes

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I just changed it, It was a piece of cake.

I didn't even need a coat hanger. I just used my "ninja" fingers.
Maybe because mines a RHD it was easier. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts