SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday, I turned off my car and the radio stayed on. This has never happened before. Now it shuts off after being on for one hour. I know there is a way to do this on purpose, but I didn't.
On Saturday, I started the car and the lights came on as usual - they're always on. However, when I turned them to the "on" position, they shut off, something they've never done before.
My display came up with a "time for service" message then too.

What's going on here?


p.s. the car (1997 900 SE turbo) has 85,000 miles on it. i switched out the DIC a few months ago and have had no major problems other than that. the only minor problem, and it is minor, was a headlight that burned out within six months of being installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,137 Posts
jmyers121 said:
was a headlight that burned out within six months of being installed.
Did u do anything obvious like touch the glass on the bulb? If not, get in contact with the manufacturer and demand a refund. Their policy may be to get it replaced where u bought it. and the store deals with the company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
Maybe the ICE unit is preparing to "buy the farm".

But I see very minor problems as reported.

Do the headlights function (high and low beam) ?
There are three positions
1....daylite ..always on
2....headlights (choice of two beams)
3....parking lights (stay ON when the key is pulled, a Euro feature)
Owner's manual page 24.

Time for service ? A coincidence or the truth ?
Every motor vehicle should have at least an annual service.....even todays "appliances"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
jmyers121 said:
My display came up with a "time for service" message then too.

(E.W. correct me if I'm wrong) The "time for service" message is a gentle reminder for us to follow, at a minimum, the maufacturers recomended service intervals. These intervals are pre programmed and utilize the odometer to indicate that your approaching the service interval. It is not linked to go on for a system malfunction. It can be reset utilizing the clear button on the SID.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Correct about the time for service message, it's appearance was coincidental. This message does not mean anything is wrong with the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
green machine said:
jmyers121 said:
My display came up with a "time for service" message then too.

(E.W. correct me if I'm wrong) The "time for service" message is a gentle reminder for us to follow, at a minimum, the maufacturers recomended service intervals. These intervals are pre programmed and utilize the odometer to indicate that your approaching the service interval. It is not linked to go on for a system malfunction. It can be reset utilizing the clear button on the SID.
Textbook, Greenmachine, textbook..

Mr Myers, try going thru the radio procedure again, see if it repeats..
In the evening, recheck the lights.
Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no high beams

i haven't had much of a chance to investigate, but i tried my high beams tonight (after covering a Sam Donaldson speaking engagement at our local university) and they don't stay on. i have to hold the lever back to keep them on. i haven't had a chance to disconnect the battery yet but i'm curious to see if that resets something and sets me straight...

p.s. what's an ICE unit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
jmyers121 said:
i haven't had much of a chance to investigate, but i tried my high beams tonight (after covering a Sam Donaldson speaking engagement at our local university) and they don't stay on. i have to hold the lever back to keep them on. i haven't had a chance to disconnect the battery yet but i'm curious to see if that resets something and sets me straight...

p.s. what's an ICE unit?

Not trying to insult you or anything here, but I've seen a lot of "problems" fixed by little things we overlook...

You're lights are on, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lights are on

bntroberts said:
Not trying to insult you or anything here, but I've seen a lot of "problems" fixed by little things we overlook...

You're lights are on, right?
perfectly appropriate question. i tried the high beams on each of the three light positions. none of them worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
Break out your test light and electrical leads and examine the switch, the bulbs, the contacts as necessary, and even the ICE(intregrated central electronics).

I suspect the switch.
Do you have the manual (WIS or Haynes) ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
earthworm said:
Break out your test light and electrical leads and examine the switch, the bulbs, the contacts as necessary, and even the ICE(intregrated central electronics).

I suspect the switch.
Do you have the manual (WIS or Haynes) ?
i'm going to jump on it this weekend. however, i don't have a manual. i 'spect that would be a wise purchase!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
radio won't turn on

jmyers121 said:
On Thursday, I turned off my car and the radio stayed on. This has never happened before. Now it shuts off after being on for one hour. I know there is a way to do this on purpose, but I didn't.
On Saturday, I started the car and the lights came on as usual - they're always on. However, when I turned them to the "on" position, they shut off, something they've never done before.
My display came up with a "time for service" message then too.

What's going on here?


p.s. the car (1997 900 SE turbo) has 85,000 miles on it. i switched out the DIC a few months ago and have had no major problems other than that. the only minor problem, and it is minor, was a headlight that burned out within six months of being installed.


So I unplugged my battery with fingers crossed hoping that my problems would magically disappear. Didn't happen.
Lights still won't turn on in the "on" position and brights won't stay on in any of the three positions.
To make matters worse, my stereo won't turn on. I reattached the battery and went in to enter my four-digit code. However, the radio simply will not turn on to give me the "enter code" display reading.
I noticed a 10 volt fuse on the back of the stereo. Perhaps that sucker blew out when I reattached the battery.
I'll replace the fuse to see if it's that simple, but what else could it be????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
earthworm said:
Break out your test light and electrical leads and examine the switch, the bulbs, the contacts as necessary, and even the ICE(intregrated central electronics).

I suspect the switch.
Do you have the manual (WIS or Haynes) ?

EW
I forgot about your post here before I updated my situation. I'll check the switch this weekend and let you know. Thanks for your continued support.

p.s. do you happen to possess any diagrams you could post that would guide me through the testing procedure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
No diagrams have I

Just go to the switch, pull it http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20051105.Saab_NG900_Dashboard_and_Instrument_Cluster/

Read the Switches section

Disconnect the battery, BUT first assure you have the radio code- which should be in you papers, file, or manual. best - all three:cheesy:

Use your multimeter and see if the switch is working
The red wire is always live
You may also just use a test light and the car's battery..

Of course the switch may test OK, then it is on to the relay..
Haying the Haynes helps a little.
This system is very complex....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haynes manual

Finally came in yesterday. I've got Weds and Thurs off and will begin disassembling the dash in search of the faulty switch.
Any last-minute advice?????

p.s. How accurate is the difficulty rating that Haynes gives beside each procedure? I've pulled off a three-wrench difficulty procedure (changing out the cabin air intake filter) with absolutely no difficulty (and without a manual to take me through the steps). However, I rate myself somewhere between idiot and almost idiot when it comes to mechanical knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Three wrenches for the cabin air filter? This leads me to believe that they seriously overstate the difficulty of these tasks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
So does anyone know the correct procedure for reseting the "time for service" on the SID.

mine came on the other day, I would like to reset it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
bntroberts said:
Three wrenches for the cabin air filter? This leads me to believe that they seriously overstate the difficulty of these tasks.
Haynes assigns the same difficulty rating to dismantling the cylinder head. As they say, Your Mileage May Vary. <chuckle>.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top