SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car this morning and the driver information display told me that it is "Time for service". However, I have had the car less than 2 weeks, and it only has 1067 miles on it (and only 500 of those are mine). Did something maybe accidentally trip the service indicator? I just wanted to see if this has ever happened to anyone here. I sure hope it isn't going to need service every 1000 miles!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont know about the intervals but if it is this early I would think it would something a warranty would cover. Maybe it's just as check of some sort. I bought mine with 45k miles so I dont really know just an idea.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Most likely the dealer put it into service a year ago since it is also time-sensitive. Go back and tell them they need to change it under the free maintenance program and if they give you any flack take it to the Service Manager or Saab USA but I doubt they will argue.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Yes this does happen on occaison, just have your dealer reset it and go in for your first Intermediate Service at 10K on the odometer. They'll reset it again then and all will be Hunky Dory.

Main Services are based on actual mileage, Intermediate services use the Algorithm.

Excerpt from Saab TSB:

INTERMEDIATE SERVICE is set by an algorithm that determines when service is required. Miles driven, crankshaft revolutions, number of starts/cold starts, ambient temperatures, speed and engine temperature are among the measurements used to compute the interval with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years.

NOTE: The actual oil condition is NOT measured, only the above calculations performed.

SOURCE; http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/

G

·
My 2006 showed the message after 7000 miles after I owned the car for about 4 months. It was manufactured in February 2006 and the message came on in March of 2007. The oil should be changed at least once a year and I think the start date is set at the factory.

Sm0kescreen, when was your car manufactured? I am just curious if my theory is correct.. ;)

EDIT: my info was wrong, it should be changed once every 2 years as per JonV's post and the manual..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wulf said:
My 2006 showed the message after 7000 miles after I owned the car for about 4 months. It was manufactured in February 2006 and the message came on in March of 2007. The oil should be changed at least once a year and I think the start date is set at the factory.

Sm0kescreen, when was your car manufactured? I am just curious if my theory is correct.. ;)
Not sure, where would the manufacture date be on the car?

G

·
It's on the label you'll see when you open the driver's door.

I edited my post mentioning the interval should be 2 years so my assumption was wrong anyways..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob Z. said:
It's up to you but they are supposed to change the oil after 1 year, not just reset the light.
Well, I haven't even had the car 2 weeks yet, and it's only got 1000 miles on it, so I really don't think it needs to be changed, does it?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wulf said:
EDIT: my info was wrong, it should be changed once every 2 years as per JonV's post and the manual..
The interval was decreased to one year for the 2006 models. Maybe for the 2005 models too. Not sure. But my 2006 is 1 year for sure.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
nowhere in my post do I specify two years...the info posted refers to the SID settings, read your manuals for proper intervals. Our earlier 93SS was 15K, 06 on is 10K........same engine, same Oil...go figure. Personally I'm a 7.5k kinda guy...can't hurt.

And the Alogorithm deals with "running" time.

G

·
This is from the 2006 9-3 manual:

When to change engine oil.
Your vehicle has a display (SID) where time for service will be shown. Based not only on mileage but also on driving conditions the mileage at which a service will be indicated can vary considerably.

Under normal circumstances the service indication will come on at or around 15,000 miles or 2 years.

For this service system to work it is of outmost importance that the right engine oil is used.

When the message for service is displayed you need to have the required service done as soon as possible. After the service your service personnel will reset the service indicator. It is important to reset the service indicator in order to optimize the time to the next service.
And in another section:

TIME FOR INTERMEDIATE SERVICE
indicates that an oil/filter change is required along with several inspections. This message is set by the engine management system which calculates service intervals based on several factors including driving habits, ambient temperature, number of cold starts, mileage driven and elapsed time since the last service. If mileage accumulation does not occur, the message will be set, and maintenance required at a maximum of 2 years.
Personally, I wouldn't want to go beyond 10K or 1 year no matter how good synthetic oil is.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My 2006 manual is missing the line

" Under normal circumstances the service indication will come on at or around 15,000 miles or 2 years."

Other than that the text on page 299 is the same.

In the other section, on page 288, under "Service Intervals":

"If mileage accumulation does not occur, the message will be set, and maintenance required at a maximum of 1 year.

My manual says on the back US/CA MY2006 Ordering Nr. 43 23 28, ed 2

I expect "ed 2" means edition 2 of this manual. What does your manual say on the back? My 2006 is a late production vehicle, manufactured in June of 2006, so I expect that earlier 2006 vehicles got edition 1 of the manual.

Incidentally, when the service reminder is reset it goes back to 365 days till service and counts down from there. In fact it reached 0 days till service in June of 2007. I expect it will again reach 0 days till service in June of 2008 (haven't checked it in a month but it was on track to reach 0 days till service in June of 2008 when I last checked it).

What I find most interesting is the text on the back cover:

"Change of engine oil and oil filter may be required more frequently if the car is being used under certain conditions, see section "Customer Assistance and Information".

On page 289 it says,

"More frequent oil changes are recommended if your vehicle is operated under one or more of the following conditions:

Most trips are less than 5-10 miles. This is particularly important when outside temperatures are below freezing.

Most trips include extensive idling (frequent stop and go traffic).

Most trips are through dusty areas (such as construction zones).

If the vehicle is used for delivery service, police, taxi or other commercial applications.

If your driving habits match this description, have the engine oil and filter changed in between normal services. These conditions cause the engine oil to break down faster. The warranties and service record book has provisions to record extra oil changes.

G

·
Interesting stuff. The info I quoted was from a downloaded PDF from the GM website. I am positive the physical manual I got with both my 9-3s (don't have those anymore so I can't check) also mentioned the 1 year interval so it seems like Saab changed their maintenance story half way through the model year.. :confused:

I do remember when they changed the oil on my 2006 9-3, it showed 100% - 365 days on the SID.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just for another datapoint, I had my Time for service come on at about 4000 mi about 3 months after I bought it. Took it in to the dealer and they did the service. Free of course.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
MY 2006 went to 1 year/10,000 miles. This is an issue now as unlike in the when past it was 2 years so it was very unlikely for a car to sit for 2 years before being sold.
See my comments on the other 1,000 mi. time for service thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts