SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my original saab exhuast has decieded to try and part company with the rest of the car on the rear box....one of the jobs on the list was to get a more free flowing exhaust but now I have to get something done :roll:

Could just get the rear box replaced for $150 but it would be money wasted when I got round to getting a proper system.

Had a 2 1/2" system priced up for $550 which would be Std downpipe to high flow cat, 1 high flow muffler to twin pipe with poss a resonator as well if its sounding a bit like a ricer.

Would it be worth going to 3" ?

I wont the system to free up some horses but not be deafening or droning and also have a nice tail pipe...I have the original square one at the moe and dont want to have something that looks like some scaffolding pipe stuck on the back:D

I know to free up some more I need to get rid of the cast elbow but the extra $220 ish and the cost of moving batt etc aint in my funds at the moe.

What do you gurus reckon?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have a 1988 900 Aero too... the silver sled.

I suggest a 3" down pipe and 2.5 " mild steel system (no need for s/s for cat backs in Australia as they rarely rust), and you can keep your battery where it is. I use a Jak Stoll Performance split 3" downpipe as I am using a Mitsubishi TE05 16G turbo. I have a 3" race cat mated to a 2.5 mild steel system with hif flow centre resonator and hiflow stainless muffler at the end. This system sounds great.

I got the cat back done locally, and as I said I got the downpipe from jak Stoll in the USA. If you are running a Garret T3 you can fit a ford swing gate housing as part of the downpipe... check his website for more details.

Pics of my set up>

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You can move the battery, and re-use all the stock cables. You just have to be a little creative.

I did it on my 86, and I was thrilled with my new 3" DP.

:cheesy:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn thats a very neat system....most I have seen have the big sweep into the area where the batt was. Whats the loudness like compaired to normal?

I have heard of moving the batt across the way to the other side if thats the way you are meaning Palmer but was thinking of a boot install as I want to fit a FMIC at some point and may need all the space I can find as I would like to keep my air con.

Hmm looks like I have some thinking and maybe credit card spending to do...:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I just installed the JT 3" system on my T16s/aero/spg/whatever. 3" elbow back with one free flow silencer.

First impression upon start up was that it was still reasonably quiet, until of course I was full throttle over 2500rpm :lol: Jesus it's loud! spits crackles and farts on over-run too.

If you are worried about a "ricer sound" then don't be, you just get an amplified 900 burble, it's great IMO :cool:

Kenny.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I went with the FMIC, Trunk Mounted Battery, and 3" system from the turbo back, I bought mandrel bends and one of the "Ultimate internal wastegates" and fabricated the whole setup, System is actually quieter then my previous 2.5" system and tons better performance wise, much quicker spooling, and as sound goes a 16 valve 900 turbo sounds awesome with any exhaust....just because

·
Registered
801 Posts
More pics

More Pics of my setup, More details can be found in my project thread....

Still have my tow hooks and enough room for AC (eventhough I don't have it), and the hot side of the piping is consideralby less then what is in the picture... this was my first test routing (the right headlight wouldn't fit)

The overall setup I have is great, on the exhaust I would next time around put a flex section in the downpipe, and use and external waste gate

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Cheapest route if you're wanting more ponies is 3" downpipe onto stock. The stock downpipe's the main restriction in the exhaust. As well as the power gain the turbo will also spool quicker.

A full 3" is loud, but it's loud in a good way. Not ricer at all. People will here you coming from a couple of streets away, but they'll be scared not amused.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well shes in the exhaust shop today :D

Due to also doing the house up I have had to comprimise a little for now...

I have gone for 2.5 from cat back into sports muffler then straight outa the back with no resinator...hopefully....

With the std cat being a flanged unit I have decieded that I'll go for the high flow later and prob do the sweeping down pipe later .....one I have moved the batt :roll:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Breakin5speeds, what is that fabric covering on your downpipe and what is it for? Never seen that before!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
its called heatwrap.... basically, the laws of thermal dynamics state that hot gases flow and move better than cool gases, so keeping the exhaust gases hot while they exit the turbo and down the downpipe is a good thing....
the dowside tho, is that it "CAN" promote moisture retention on the pipe, promoting surface rust (not an issue with stainless pipes tho!!)

G

·
Registered
467 Posts
And I thought it was to save burning your fingers when working on a hot engine. Thanks for setting me straight!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
If you want loud, I mean LOUD...
Flare the exhaust tip out to 8" over the last 12" of pipe!!:cheesy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts