SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My 2002 SE is giving me a little trouble sometimes when I try to pop the gear into first and reverse, it just feels a little forced at times. My friend who fancies himself as a car guy say it's a sign of the clutch wearing out and needs to be replaced. What do you think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
petro said:
Hey guys! My 2002 SE is giving me a little trouble sometimes when I try to pop the gear into first and reverse, it just feels a little forced at times. My friend who fancies himself as a car guy say it's a sign of the clutch wearing out and needs to be replaced. What do you think?
Same problem on my 900 98' results in gearbox general renew + new clutch cable...(but on 2002 you have hydraulic clutch, i guess).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Clutches need to be replaced when they start slipping. This sounds more of a linkage problem. Search here for shifter linkage adjustment DIY guides, I know there are a few lying around.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
K Spark is correct; but when the proper adjustment is no longer possible, then the time has come..

Always approach this using the least expensive path....and assure that the shift linkage and the engine mounts are good..

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1 :cool:

KSpark said:
Clutches need to be replaced when they start slipping. This sounds more of a linkage problem. Search here for shifter linkage adjustment DIY guides, I know there are a few lying around.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Or it might need a bleeding. How old is your brake fluid and when was it last done? Where in relation to the floor does your clutch engage and disengage? Since you are describing the two shifts where the car is stationary (1st and reverse) this could be a linkage issue. When you have difficulty, can you run through some other gears and then get the one you want?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saaboheme said:
Or it might need a bleeding. How old is your brake fluid and when was it last done? Where in relation to the floor does your clutch engage and disengage? Since you are describing the two shifts where the car is stationary (1st and reverse) this could be a linkage issue. When you have difficulty, can you run through some other gears and then get the one you want?
Not sure how old the break fluid is, the car was purchased back in June this year with 98k(km) on it, and according to the dealership was serviced before the sale. In terms of approximately where the clutch engages/disengages, hard to desribe, but it disengages when the pedal is fully pressed down, and engages not too soon after. Its hard to know if the previous owner changed the clutch at all, but I personally believe its fairly solid and still has some milage on it.

To answer your last question, seems like sometimes when 1st is being difficult, the other gears (when stationary) are somewhat difficult as well to shift in and out of (I usually try 2nd when it does that).

Appretiate the help as always, I'll search around the forum for linkage issues. Cheers :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
earthworm said:
K Spark is correct; but when the proper adjustment is no longer possible, then the time has come..

Always approach this using the least expensive path....and assure that the shift linkage and the engine mounts are good..

My bad, linkage first....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts